Opinions on the Dive Rite NiTek Duo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmspdi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a computer that will do 2 EAN gas mixes (tri-mix not needed). I currently have a Suunto Stinger (single gas computer) that I will keep as a back-up computer (and for those all too infrequent trips to Coz or the Caribbean).

In the past I have owned a Cobra, and a Vyper, and both served me well. However I would like to stay away from Suunto computers at this time because of recently reported pressure sensor problems in some of their products, and their warranty policies (Aqualung).

In the past I have been happy with Dive Rite's products and service. After reading the NiTek Duo manual on the Dive Rite Express web site the NiTek Duo looked like it would fit my needs, has a user replaceable battery, bungee cord mount (a must), and can be purchased at a price point I can live with ($399.00 w/free shipping).

I would to hear from anyone who has had "hands on" experience with the NiTek Duo. I am looking for owners who would be able to offer any opinions or insight regarding the product? At this time I am NOT looking for recommendations for other dive computers.

Thanks.

You can find a duo for less than 399. If you want to order online, you might as well find the best price. There is a lot of info around on the duo if you do a search.

Awsome computer. 3 mins less max bottom time than my Genesis React. 3 mins more bottom time than a Suunto cobra. Three computer comparison was side by side at 111 feet.

I have about 150 dives on mine. As you have read in the manual it has a lot of features in computer mode. Gauge mode is a nice option I use as well. I have had no problems with the unit. I put it in a DSS bungee mount and for me its a good setup. Its simple and robust. I like it and would buy another. My only issue is has been the backlighting not staying on long enough for my preference, but I can deal with that.

I've used one for several months and like it. The numbers are quite readable even with my failing eyes (and mind). I get the information I want displayed easily. My only issue is that it is easy to hit buttons at the wrong time and send it into modes you don't want. I've made mine go into gauge mode accidentally, and somehow the gas mix got reset to 50% before a deep dive. As long as you're careful when pressing the buttons, it works just fine.

I had one of the set that was recalled but Dive Rite replaced it quickly and even paid for express shipping when it failed. The replacement has about 150 dives on it and I have been completely satisfied. A little dificult to press the buttons with dry gloves if I am using the plexi face protector but I would buy another.

Great computer. Early ones had a lot of failures. Supposedly fixed?

Buy the Tusa IQ-700 instead. It is an identical clone but has a 2 year warranty. The Duo warranty is only 1 year.

Algorithm is very Buhlman,reasonably but not stupidly conservative. Perfect Cave Diving computer.

I've used one for several months and like it. The numbers are quite readable even with my failing eyes (and mind). I get the information I want displayed easily. My only issue is that it is easy to hit buttons at the wrong time and send it into modes you don't want. I've made mine go into gauge mode accidentally, and somehow the gas mix got reset to 50% before a deep dive. As long as you're careful when pressing the buttons, it works just fine.

The gas mix shifting to 50% is a safety thing. IF you dive a mix other than 21% the computer requires you reset the mix on each repeative dive. Basically it's a way to penalize you significantly (and keep you safer) if you don't tell the computer exactly what you are diving.

That said, I get dinged on this exact thing all the time.

I'm a new owner of the Nitek Duo, and I agree with the opinions above.
Being easy to read was important to me with my failing eyes, gauge mode, and the two gas switching. I shopped around and found a great online LDS price, but it did not include shipping or the bungie mount that Diveriteexpress offers. Plus DRE raised the price $10 to $399 only in the last month. So while you may find it for around $350 (new) it may not include the shipping or the $20 wrist mount. So if the price works for you, you won't be sorry. It's a great computer/BT.

All the best,
Geoff

The Nitek Duo, Tusa IQ700, Cressi Sub Archamedes, and Zeagle N2itive are all the same Seiko computer badged by different companies. However, the price and warranty vary. Even at Scubatoys they all sell at different prices- the computer downloader price even varies by brand badge at ST. I have the IQ700 and like it but if I were to buy it today I would by the Zeagle from Scubatoys. It is cheaper, has the cool bungie option and with the Scubaboard discount you looking at less than $350.00 with bungie and free shipping.

The Nitek Duo, Tusa IQ700, Cressi Sub Archamedes, and Zeagle N2itive

Add Apeks Quantum to that line either.

Replaced my Suunto Stinger with Nitek Duo as I wanted to have bigger display for easier data reading. Also very satisfied with Zeagle (the same as DSS) tech wrist mount for this computer - make a big difference in comparison with ordinary wrist straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom