Help needed for a fellow missing diver!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crackedconch1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't know how many people on the forum saw this on the news, but a fellow employee, fisherman, and diver is missing. We're trying to spread the word in hopes someone has seen him or has some information about him. If you haven't seen it on the news, here it is. PLEASE HELP!!!!

TAMPA, Florida (CNN) -- Growing more anxious with each passing day, the parents of a suspected kidnap victim in Florida are increasing the reward for their son's return from $10,000 to $250,000.

Robert Wiles, 26, was last seen April 1 and is believed to be kidnapped.

1 of 2 "We want him back. We love him. We miss him," Thomas Wiles said of his son, his eyes filling with tears.

Robert Wiles, 26, of Lakeland, Florida, disappeared April 1. He was last seen at National Flight Services at Lakeland Linder Regional Airport, where he worked for his family's flight maintenance company as a business development manager.

Two days later, his father received a ransom note demanding money. The FBI won't say how much, nor will it release the name on the note because it doesn't want to spark copycats. The bureau only describes the name as unique and specific.

"It threatened Robert with harm if the terms were not complied with exactly as they say," Thomas Wiles said. "I think when I first looked at it, I felt it wasn't for real, but then subsequently I realized it was for real, and I'd best comply with the terms." Watch the parents appeal for help finding their son »

The FBI will say only that the family tried to follow instructions but heard nothing more -- and that the case is unusual.

"These types of kidnappings [of adults for ransom] are extremely rare," said Steve Ibison, Tampa FBI special agent in charge. He said he had no statistics.

"We have some individuals of interest, we'll call them at this point, that we are aggressively pursuing," Ibison added.

Don't Miss
FBI investigates possible kidnapping for ransom
The FBI is tracking leads in several states and outside the U.S., Ibison said.

By offering $50,000 for their son's safe return and another $200,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible, Wiles' parents said they're hoping to spark leads.

"We're willing to work with them and do anything to get him back. We just want Robert back," Thomas Wiles said.

The Wileses own plane-maintenance companies in Ohio, Florida, Texas, Missouri and Canada.

Robert Wiles is a pilot who sometimes would fly a company plane to meetings throughout the U.S. and Caribbean.

Co-workers at the Florida airport facility said they're baffled by the kidnapping. They said they can't think of a reason for kidnapping the young man.

"It's very, very upsetting to myself and other staffers here," Chad Mountcastle said. "We want Robert to get back to work and be safe."

Co-worker Gerry Grieff said, "Robert didn't make enemies. I don't know of any enemies he made in the business."

His mother, Pam Wiles, said there is "no way" her son was involved in anything illegal.

His friends and family said Wiles wouldn't simply run away. They also said Wiles, who is not married, would never abandon his family.

The FBI offered a message to those who might be holding Wiles. "They should come forward, because the idea is to bring Robert back home safely," Ibison said. "It's gonna be a lot better on whoever is involved if he comes back safely and soon."

Wiles' father put it simply: "Please let him loose."

:sadangel::sadangel:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/....html

What the heck is going on....... We are under an AMBER ALERT since yesterday here.:shakehead::( They are looking for them on I95. she is a white 14 old and is with a black man, black woman and a Hispanic man. They have switched cars now they are in a White Seabring? car.

Damn, that's the first I heard of this. I hope he is found safe.

I don't think this being publicized here in S FL at all but a Google News search produced a lot of hits. It does seem rather strange the parents tried to fulfill the ransom request and the kidnappers never contacted them again.

Thanks for the prayers everyone. I've been working for his family's company for 10 years and they are wonderful people. It's kills all of us that this has happened. We known about this since the beginning and were told not to say anything until it went public a week ago. I thought the story was aired all over the state, at least it was supposed to be. I do know that a bunch of flyers went out around the various airports around the Miami area through some customers of ours. Anyway, I'm just trying to help spread the word.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom