Lost Key Trip Report 4/26 & 4/27/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had two fun days on board the H2O Below.

On Saturday 4/26/08 we had a full boat going first to the Pete’s Tide and then to the PC Barges. The Captain wisely chose these two sites to stay away from the snapper fishermen. Visibility on the Pete’s Tide was somewhere around watery pea soup! The water was 68 degrees with a mild current. We were the only boat on this wreck and had a good time looking at the fish. I was the last diver up the anchor line so I needed to untie the spool from the wreck to the anchor line. Well…. I don’t generally get jumpy underwater but I was taking off the spool line and heard a goliath grouper. You know they make that grunting noise. I looked around and didn’t see anything. Then I noticed another fishing weight. I collect them and melt them down to make recycled dive weights. So I decided to cut the mono and take the weight. Again I heard the grunting noise. Now I’m getting a little twitchier. I look around. No grouper. So then my mind takes over and I think… He can see me but I can’t see him. I wonder how big he is? I wonder if he can see well enough in this pea soup to know that I’m not food?

Well, I’ve read everything that Stephen King was ever written! Cats that kill people, Dogs that eat children, all kinds of things that go bump in the night. So I got my tasty white a$$ up that line and onto the boat. Weird almost 300 dives and I get freaked out over a grouper.

The second dive was the PC Barge which was cool. I had recovered and had a great dive. More weights collected and more mono chopped up to clean up the wreck. The vis was a lot better at about 30 feet. The hot dogs on the way in were excellent.

The trip on Sunday was to the Oriskany. The water temps are still in the 68 range but the vis was better. We had a great group of divers from the Air Force Officers School in Montgomery, Alabama. Can’t wait for them to come back in two weeks.

Okay… here is my soap box. We witnessed a diver from another boat pulling the Octopus out of their hiding holes again on Sunday. Why do people do that? Please leave the Octopus alone. Everything I’ve read about Octopus says that they are easily stressed and can literally die from stress. It happened last year, please don’t kill the Octopus this year.

The H2OBelow lives at Southwind Marina which is on Lost Key.

I was wondering how long it would take somebody to ask. Thanks Paul! Miss you BTW!

The H2OBelow lives at Southwind Marina which is on Lost Key.

I was wondering how long it would take somebody to ask. Thanks Paul! Miss you BTW!

is this some counter-immigration name change? I'd always heard of it referred to as "Perdido Key" (Lost is "perdido" in espanol). I do know there is a Lost Key Golf club, but I wasn't aware that there was an area named Lost Key.

I thought someone had to go dock-diving to retrieve the boat keys.

Pay me no mind. I'm in a troublemaking mood.

Lost Key is a nick name for Perdido Key. If its over the ICW its not on the Key.

It's May now. Has the water gotten over 80o, yet?

60 degree water is refreshing. :) I dive it all year. Some of the lakes up here dip down into the low 40's during the winter. I'm hoping to be living in Alabama by mid July... It all depends on how fast my house sells though. :)

Donna,
Thanks for the report and the ecology effort. I am sure the fish won't mind the mono being removed from their home. So, is this grouper possibly up for a cameo mention in your next book?
Howard

Back
Top Bottom