Aeris vs Oceanic....Same BCD? Looks that way to me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, I'm no rocket scientist but.......these two BCD's from two totally different companies are EXACTLY the same.
Are they making generics in China, shipping them out and having these comapnies stamp their names on them for reasale?
I'm not complaining.......just seems kinda chinchy to me.

I'll try to upload the photos. If I'm unsuccessful, I'll just post the links to the photos.

I think it's actually a pretty well known fact that Oceanic and Aeris are the same company. Check their contact info - same address:

Oceanic Worldwide - Contact Oceanic

DiveAeris.com - Contact Us

The sites are nearly identical as well.

I don't think that there's anything shady happening here. I don't completely see the benefit of having two nearly identical brands selling to the same customers, but I'm not a marketing/sales guy. I guess it lets them have more dealers with less brand-density?

Search around here on SB -- there's several threads on who makes what. It's pretty common for one manufacturer to provide product to several different brands. Also, a LOT of the gear, especially the mass-market stuff is going to be make overseas. If you want to avoid that part specifically, there are several gear manufactures who still have USA based manufacturing.

Oceanic and Aeris are ths same company. They make a lot of the same stuff under different names. Not just the BC. It ranges from fins, snorkels, etc. Nothing Shady at all. There the same company.

I see on the respectable sites that they offer this BC with an optional weight integration system.
I don't suppose that's available as an aftermarket option.
I sure would have like to had that for my wife so she doesn't have to bruise her hips with weight belts.
On the other hand, the pockets are huge. Maybe I can throw a 5 pounder in each pocket......... Just an idea........LOL

Why in the world is your wife getting bruised by weights?? I have been diving with hard weights on a belt for two years now and have never once gotten bruised by them.

Regardless, if your wife is getting bruised by them, have you considered moving to a soft weight system with a belt?

You might consider asking this over in either the Oceanic or Aeris sections - I would guess that their reps will see things more quickly there.

Another option as well besides moving to a soft belt/soft weights or weight integration is a weight harness like the DUI Weight and Trim. This moves the support of the weights off your hips and onto the shoulders and also gives you some more freedom with placing them higher or lower (the Trim part of Weight and Trim...) One thing to think about with integrated weights is how heavy it makes the overall rig. If you're sitting down on a bench and donning the gear there, it's not a big deal, but if for instance you're shore diving and relying on your buddy to help you gear up, now you're asking them to lift your whole rig including weights up for you to get into. It's ultimately a personal preference thing though.

Back
Top Bottom