BP/W, Back Inflate or Side Inflate??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Let the opinions roll. What do you like them and why?:D

Clarify: BP with wings....vs...Back inflate jacket...vs.....Side (wrap around) inflate jacket.

Let the opinions roll. What do you like and why?:D

A bp/w is a back inflate and I assume you call a jacket a side inflate yet they actually inflate in the back and on the side. For a Jacket, maybe multi-inflate would be a better description.:D

I like a back inflate without a hard back plate. Why? I don't need a hard back plate.

Most any backplate/wing configuration will be back-inflate only. If you're talking instead about a jacket-style BC, they come in side- (more common) and back-inflate models.

For jacket BCs, I highly prefer back-inflate. They don't put pressure on your body when they inflate, they help you achieve better trim in the water, and they don't roll you around on the surface as the air moves from one side of your body to the other.

Well, presuming you are talking about the location of the inflator hose on a wing, I like side-inflation better. The only time I used a back-inflation (more like center, and I've only seen it on a DSS wing) was for my OW training, and the hose kept getting pinched between the wing and first-stage regulator assembly when I inflated anywhere close to full, sometimes causing leakage. If that's not what you're talking about, I'll say that back-inflation rules because it's much more streamlined and comfortable

Here I thought this would set off a fury. Similar to the endless pages of "split fin vs. paddle fin" thread.

I dive a Sherwood Tortuga (first BC ever). It's considered a "hybrid"; meaning that after the wings are about 3/4 full, it pushes some air to the side bladder to help you on the surface. I love the thing. It works great, but what do I know? It's the only one I've owned!

I put about 55 dives on this thing and only negative I have is it's sometimes a bit constricting when over 3/4 full. One member in our dive group who has dove many BCs and over 1,000 dives says he's settled on the BP/W.

Bring it on all. Why....why...oh please write me your opinions

Here I thought this would set off a fury. Similar to the endless pages of "split fin vs. paddle fin" thread.

Well, maybe it's the fact that this topic has been beaten to a pulp at least a million times. If you suspected that, why didn't you just search? No worries, plenty of people won't be able to resist.

I dive a Sherwood Tortuga (first BC ever). It's considered a "hybrid"; meaning that after the wings are about 3/4 full, it pushes some air to the side bladder to help you on the surface. I love the thing. It works great, but what do I know? It's the only one I've owned!

I put about 55 dives on this thing and only negative I have is it's sometimes a bit constricting when over 3/4 full. One member in our dive group who has dove many BCs and over 1,000 dives says he's settled on the BP/W.

I dive a Sherwood Avid and that has a relatively minor back bladder component. I will say that as far as I'm concerned it's not the BC that makes the diver, it's the fit and it's the diver.

Many of the divers reveling in their upgrade to a BP&W are doing so because their prior jacket just didn't fit them right in the first place. They are on a second purchase did lots of research and have configured it to fit. The BP&W does have the ability to be widely adjustable and that can be a real advantage.

If you have technical or recreational doubles aspirations then the BP&W is the way to go. They are not vocal but there are divers that tried a BP&W and went back to their jacket. Some also reserve it for dives where it's required.

If you are comfortable and capable in your Tortuga that's what it's all about.

Pete

It is a worn out topic that come up as often as pony bottles. Your choice of a "Tortuga" reveals your agneda to justify it in comparison to the superior BP/wing. You might love it but most people who dive a BP/wing probably would have nothing to do with a "beginner" life jacket system. Now, is that more like what you had in mind?

N

It is a worn out topic that come up as often as pony bottles. Your choice of a "Tortuga" reveals your agneda to justify it in comparison to the superior BP/wing. You might love it but most people who dive a BP/wing probably would have nothing to do with a "beginner" life jacket system. Now, is that more like what you had in mind?

N

My, aren't we superior. I apologize for being a "beginner" a bothering you with such lower issues. Most divers like to help each other out - most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom