Lightest Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkleFL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any suggestions on a travel BC. I ended up in FIJI with 80 lbs of dive gear and clothes and had to hike over a volcano and through a jungle. Not carrying that much crap again. Traded my dive computer for a wrist computer. Need to loose some more weight. Was going to trade to octo for a inflater\octo and buy a very light small BC but there are so many on the market. Any good experiences with a travel BC?

I'll second the BP/W recommendation. My warm-water BP/W setup (aluminum OMS bp + Halcyon Eclipse wing + hog harness) is slightly lighter than the Seaquest Passport, which I used to take on trips. If I remember correctly, the Passport BCD weighs about 5 lbs and is marketed specifically as a "Traveler's BCD." My main gripe with the Passport was the feet-down trim since it lacks rear trim weight pockets. If you are tight on space as well as weight, then the BP/W will break down much more nicely than any traditional BCD. Heck, you could even set up the harness once you arrived at your destination. Good luck and dive safe.

Also look into Seac Sub - Icaro Tech " the back pack is lightweight and tempered with naval-aviation alloy"

Any good experiences with a travel BC?

I'll answer the question you asked. (BC is different than BPW)

The best traveling BC I have seen by far is The Mares Ergo Icon. Mares - stand for diving

There is no other BC that is more compact + lighter. I see no limitation on it for everyday use. Just smarter design, that's all.

Attachments

• 417254_icon_1.png
    417254_icon_1.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 395
I have the Oceanic Islander which the website claims is 6 lbs. Packing this into a roller bag with other typical tropical dive gear, including a full 3mm wetsuit, the total came out to 40 lbs. I also use the Oceanic Air XS Alternate Inflator.

A 2 lb aluminum backplate, with an Oxycheq wing, and with 15 ft of webbing, and 4 D-rings, together with a belt buckle, would be the lightest. And also the strongest, for the weight.

I myself prefer however a 6 lb steel plate, because it gives me better trim, and less weight on my belt.

I'll answer the question you asked. (BC is different than BPW)

How so? A BPW IS a BC. That's like saying a vehicle is different than a car.

just bought the MARES ICON looking forward to using it this week. Supposed to be a graet BC , light weight is whatsold me..

Back
Top Bottom