Planning Proposal on a Dive in Bali -- Want Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and for the most part to online posting in general, so please forgive me if I do something wrong!

My girlfriend and I just arranged a month long trip to South East Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Bali). The last week of the trip, we're going to Bali for a friend's wedding.

She and I have talked about eloping or having an abbreviated engagement for a long time - neither of us wants the fuss of arranging or even participating in a big wedding. I've spent the last 6 months designing a ring and searching for the perfect gem (fair trade, color change, purple/blue sapphire) which I just found yesterday.

Tonight I had the idea of proposing underwater on a dive in Bali (she loves diving even more than I do). My thought would be to propose on the dive and we could get married on the beach the next day. We've already talked with both families about the possibility we might show up engaged and/or married one day, though she's asked me to make the details and timing a surprise. My initial thought is to take laminated cards with me from the states for the dive, the first saying "will you marry me?" and the second, assuming she nods yes to the first, saying "tomorrow?"

This is just an initial idea. Does anyone have any other suggestions of how to propose or any recommendation of where in Bali (or Thailand or Vietnam) would be a good place for this (dive site, dive shop...)? Thank you for your advice in advance!

How about getting a clam or oyster and putting the ring in there? Welcome to the board.

do not bring the actual ring underwater... either of you might lost it... that would be a shame.

get a replica of it and that's what you should bring down with you there. give her the real ring during dinner after you have proposed and she said yes.

you will want that on video for sure!!! let me know when your potential dates are. I can give you some bali ideas.
try for operators Bali Diving academy scubali.com, crystal divers crystal-divers.com, bidp or bali scuba.

You might want this post moved to the indonesia section

I dont know too much about the Indonesian dive areas, but would there be a way to leave a underwater trail say off a beach, that would end in the ring or you holding the ring ( I like Maggies idea of using a replica or an inexpensive ring) ?Maybe have a friend set a tril for you to follow.Kinda like little things you would not normally find, that would keep her on the trial.

Tonight I had the idea of proposing underwater on a dive in Bali
We had a diver do this, but it didn't go exactly to plan. The proposer and guide colluded before the dive and prepared a "will-you-marry-me" note inside an empty plastic water bottle. The guide smuggled it to the dive start point, and as the two divers descended delayed his descent a few seconds to quickly tie it to the buoy, to be ready on surfacing. At the end of the dive however, as the eager groom-to-be tried to thrust the bottle into her hand, the bride-to-be refused to accept it, thinking (she explained later) it was something gross and disgusting, perhaps even the remains of a fish bomb.
Eventually however cupid prevailed, she took the note, and they are now living happily ever after.

we could get married on the beach the next day.
I got married here (after a topside proposal) and there is a mountain of paperwork to get through. To get legally married you will need two formal ceremonies; religious and civil, both of which require a tedious amount of bureaucratic preparation. Your embassy will be able to help you, and there are lots of wedding companies straining on the leash to turn your romantic urgings into hard cash. You may prefer to have an informal celebration on the beach instead of a formal wedding.

BIDP organize - or used to at least, not sure if they still do - underwater weddings, complete with submerged priest and soggy wedding gown. It wouldn’t be my idea of a romantic day, but it may just the thing you’re looking for.

Anyway, let us know how you get on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom