Getting to Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am heading to Papau in 6 weeks time, staying at Papau Diving Kri resort.
I am just planning flights at the moment.

Basically I have 2 options.
  • Fly into Singapore then to Manado on Silk air then into Sorong using Lion or Merpati (better airlines but more flight connections,more stop overs)
  • Fly into Jakarta then to Sorong with Merpati. (Less flight connections but a long flight on merpati!! )
Cost is not a concern. At the moment I will prob go via Jakarta. Looking for the best option in terms of getting to Sorong for the Sunday pick up.
I will be flying to Manado on the return leg to do Lembeh again.

Would appreciate any travel tips from anybody who has travelled to Sorong recently.

Hi ..if you want to go via Jakarta to sorong , maybe my firend can help for get some ticket and ground handling services, please send email to : discover_indo@indosat.net.id , they can help youfor ground handling ( ticket & hotel ) at Jakarta.

Just returned from that area and I can tell you that our flight on Lion Air from Manado to Sorong was cancelled due to bad weather in Sorong ( according to the airline, also you can not land in Sorong after dark- no runway lighting ) or as others said the flight was not completely booked. Anyway we overnighted in Manado and took a 3 a.m. flight. Be aware you may be flying a Dash 8 Turboprop via Wings Air ( a Lions Air associate ) The return flight to Manado was uneventful and if I had to do it again I would not change a thing I had a blast. Enjoy the diving in Raja Ampat it truly is spectacular.

It is probably a good idea to build in a spare day in case your Sorong flight gets canceled. If you do that in Manado you can go to the national park where they have the tiny Tarsier primate and birds

Also, according to the local meet and greet guy where I dive, I was told the flight from Jakarta to Manado is often late. Don't know about Jakarta to Sorong.

I did Jakarta to Sorong in February this year - agree with the other posters that you should schedule in extra time and be prepared for flights to be cancelled due to weather or even diverted, as ours was.

You may also find it much more convenient to get your liveaboard company to arrange all the Indo domestic flights for you -- I did this with MSY Seahorse and they charged 10 per cent extra on the ticket price for the service. That seemed like a small price to pay to have guys meet us at each airport and basically be looking out for us. We had an unscheduled day stop in Makassar and the Seahorse guys organised hotels, taxis, everything without any prompting. Turned what could have been a miserable situation into something pretty pleasant and stress-free.

I recently went to R4, from Jakarta. Flew from JKT to Sorong via Manado with Lion Air/Wings. The flight from JKT to Manado was fine, the flight from Manado to Sorong was two hours delayed but lucky us not canceled although we were only 5 pax in a 30 (or so) seats plane. Back to JKT from Sorong I flew with Merpati (30 min stopover in Makassar), the departure from Sorong was one hour delayed. For Indonesian standards not too bad :wink: To be on the safe side, I would book the flight to Sorong on Saturday, to make sure you catch the boat to Eco Kri Resort. Yuli, the Papua-Diving agent in Sorong, will book a room in Meridian hotel for you, if you want. Enjoy R4!!

Hi,

I am heading to Papau in 6 weeks time, staying at Papau Diving Kri resort.
I am just planning flights at the moment.

Basically I have 2 options.
  • Fly into Singapore then to Manado on Silk air then into Sorong using Lion or Merpati (better airlines but more flight connections,more stop overs)
  • Fly into Jakarta then to Sorong with Merpati. (Less flight connections but a long flight on merpati!! )
Cost is not a concern. At the moment I will prob go via Jakarta. Looking for the best option in terms of getting to Sorong for the Sunday pick up.
I will be flying to Manado on the return leg to do Lembeh again.

Would appreciate any travel tips from anybody who has travelled to Sorong recently.

Getting there I would go via Jakarta (you stay in one of the hotels close to the airport if you have a long time to wait for the connecting flight with Merpati) Flights can be delayed this time of year from Manado due to weather.) Have some Rp for the airport departure tax Rp 30,000 (you will not have to pay this again during the short stopover in Makassar).

Many thanks for all posts.
I have booked Singapore -Manado flights on Silk air.
Papau diving will sort out my Manado-Sorong flights, flying Manado-Sorong Sunday, Sorong -Manado the following Monday.

Will write a trip report when i get back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom