Anyone down for lake Martin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John L.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For those uninitiated Lake Martin is located in east Alabama. Eclectic, and Dadeville are a couple of the cities that border the man made lake. I'm thinking about going either Tuesday or Thursday of this upcoming week (May 6th, or 8th), possibly both. Don't really know of any cool spots in the lake to dive but if anyone else does it would be much appreciated ( I don't have access to a boat either). Also I am a new diver...only have 8 dives so far hopefully people will be OK with that (looking to get a lot more :D). If anyone is off work and wants to meet up with a fellow SB member let me know. :popcorn: Even if no one knows of anything to look at in the lake I'd be fine with staring at the mud :)

How far away is Lake Martin from Tuscaloosa?

I could do the 8th...I'm pretty eager to get in the water and go diving! :D

I'm a new diver, too...

Lake Martin is a pretty neat place to dive. There are several of us on here that dive it, we usually dive old kowliga bridge. You can dive it from either side and the existing bridge can be interesting too. Just an idea for you some good dives without a boat.

How far away is Lake Martin from Tuscaloosa?

I could do the 8th...I'm pretty eager to get in the water and go diving! :D

I'm a new diver, too...

I think it's about a 2 hour drive for you.

Is kowladiga bridge in the same place as the current bridge??
Know of any other good spots?

Re: Kowaliga Bridge - the bridge carries AL Hwy 63 north and south over the Kowaliga Bay area of Lake Martin. It is about 15 miles south of the intersection of AL 63 & US 280 in Alex City. The old bridge is on the west side of the current bridge. If you don't have a boat you should go to park at the public boat ramp on the north west side of the Bridge. I have never done it but it should be really easy to park in the parking lot and walk down and hop in the water right at the ramp in order to dive.

For anyone interested in Lake Martin - feel free to drop by my blog - Lake Martin Voice. I cover Lake Martin real estate news and area info. Also you can search the entire lake MLS for free with no nosy questions.

Be safe and have fun,

John C

I actually prefer to dive the south side, but both are good. If you decide which to hit, or hit them both you park over at the marina and its striaght off the point to find the bridge. A good piece of advice for you, make sure you do not clip your dive flag to you. Keep it in your hand in case another boater decides to take off with it. It has happened before and unless your diving dry you might want to check water temps. It is probably still a bit refreshing so to speak.

Ugh....work schedule change...I might not be able to make it. I'll know for sure in a couple of days.

I actually prefer to dive the south side, but both are good. If you decide which to hit, or hit them both you park over at the marina and its striaght off the point to find the bridge. A good piece of advice for you, make sure you do not clip your dive flag to you. Keep it in your hand in case another boater decides to take off with it. It has happened before and unless your diving dry you might want to check water temps. It is probably still a bit refreshing so to speak.
Yeah was out there about 2 weeks ago in a 2/3 wet, it was a bit nippy but not all that bad if your used to springs (say low 60's in the spot and depth i was at)...plus I have a bit of extra padding to keep me warm :) I've heard about people stealing dive flags attached to divers...Luckily there are plenty of beer bottles on the bottom to launch up at them even if they do make away with the flag :)

Thanks again for your help.

Ugh....work schedule change...I might not be able to make it. I'll know for sure in a couple of days.

Just let me know I'd love to meet more divers. And if anyone else wants to meet up there that'd be awesome if I can't find someone else to meet up with I won't be able to go as my typical dive buddie has to work on my off days (Plus he doesn't really care for lakes, I think he's gonna end up a vacation diver :( )

Us that know the lake know that it's still too expletive deleted cold. Give us a couple of months and we will ask your schedule and arrange to meet you for a grand diving experience.

Kowaliga used to be well know amongst the T'Loosa elite. You have about a 45 minute drive to the Magic City and another one and a half to two hour drive to Kowaliga. A few years ago I could go from my Mom's house to downtown B'Ham in 45 minutes but with the development on US 280 those days are only in my memory.

Just know - in May Lake Martin is too frapping cold to enjoy yourself. In my dive reports from last July I wore a wetsuit.

When the time comes - we will let you know..... Say hey to Frosty...

Us that know the lake know that it's still too expletive deleted cold. Give us a couple of months and we will ask your schedule and arrange to meet you for a grand diving experience.

Kowaliga used to be well know amongst the T'Loosa elite. You have about a 45 minute drive to the Magic City and another one and a half to two hour drive to Kowaliga. A few years ago I could go from my Mom's house to downtown B'Ham in 45 minutes but with the development on US 280 those days are only in my memory.

Just know - in May Lake Martin is too frapping cold to enjoy yourself. In my dive reports from last July I wore a wetsuit.

When the time comes - we will let you know..... Say hey to Frosty...

Didn't you post this exact same thing about 2 years ago? Don't get me wrong I respect your 3,000+ dives and I have found your messages entertaining and informative but I also feel cold is a very relative thing. I personally do not find the water of the lake that chilly though I have not dove all that deep in it. BTW the entire message sounds elitist, and while I feel your extensive dive history does warrant it to some extent, it does put people off. I mean hell I did enjoy myself a couple weeks ago, it would have been considered cold by some and the vis was not the best but it was fun to just dive....I guess thats all some people need (me in particular :) ). I'm afraid I'm coming off like an ******* and I really don't mean to be. I really would like to come dive with you guys when you dive the lake again, but for now I don't mind the cool water and I actually think Morrison was colder last time I dove it (Plus I'm poor and lake Martin is the closest dive spot to me :) )

**edited for spelling

Back
Top Bottom