Key Largo report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatMyGreen

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
I just got back from 5 days in Key Largo with the FSU Dive club (Panama City Campus). We dove in two groups of 10 with Capt Mark and Scott on the SCUBA-DOO and I have nothing but good things to say. The were the epitemy of what a scuba charter should be; knowledgeable in dive theory, safety conscious, friendly and diplomatic as possible when several of the students wanted to dive beyond there expereince. As the Clubs Dive Safety Officer that meant alot to me and prevented the people in question from being embarrassed in front of the group. I highly reccomend these guys as a charter, even with 10 people aboard there was plenty of room on the boat and it was a comfortable ride even in the rough seas we had on Wednesday (4-6') when we dove the Spiegel Grove.

Vis was great the whole time and the current was Keys Moderate which is above average for us panhandle divers but still no problem if you do what the Capt tells you and stay on the line until you get to the wreck! (we had a few people try to free descend)

We stayed at the Marina Del Mar resort just down the canal from the boat. The rooms weren't the Westin but were perfect for a group of 20, 20 something divers. The resort put us all together in a clump so as to minimize the distress to the other people in the area. If we were to lazy to walk to either Coconuts or Sharky's/The Galley then room service was an option which is always nice.

We had really good experiences with Horizon Divers on the other side of the canal for our shop needs and I hear they run a good charter, but I have to recommend Scuba Doo Charters, 522 Caribbean Dr.....(305) 451-3446 if anyone is planning a trip down there!

Attachments

• Spiegel Grove1.JPG
    Spiegel Grove1.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 28
  • SG 2.JPG
    SG 2.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 28
  • SG 3.JPG
    SG 3.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 26
  • sg 6.JPG
    sg 6.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 21
  • SG cuda.JPG
    SG cuda.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Keys Calm Current.JPG
    Keys Calm Current.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 25
Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Think I recognize that barracuda from the Spiegel Grove... :wink:

By this afternoon, seas had subsided to 2-3' at the Spiegel Grove. I think we saw that same (enormous) snapper under the flight deck... along with a couple of HUGE Goliath Grouper (aka Jewfish). We drifted from stern to bow, and enjoyed a memorable dive!

Great pics... nice trip report... thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom