Need advice, repairing leak in Oxychek wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all:

I need help figuring out how to patch a small hole in an Oxycheq wing (I am not sure brand matters, but if anyone has an Oxycheq wing, they'll understand the description).

I have a small pinhole leak in the bladder near the top left inside corner of the wing. It is not in the cordura material, but rather where the smooth rubber (or whatever material it is) bladder meets the cordura. It is next to the center strap that runs down the wing (the part with the grommets to attach to the plate). The leak is where these three areas come together (the center strap, the cordua and the smooth rubber bladder).

I can't actually get a patch on this area...and even if I could, it probably wouldn't stick, because it is in an area where three parts of the wing come together.

The leak is very slow, so I don't imagine that it affects the performance too much, but I am worried that it might get worse if left alone.

Would something like Aqua-Seal fix the leak? I would need something that would flow into the area of the leak. It would need to be able to adhere to both the bladder and cordura material. The challenge is that I don't want to keep water out, I need to keep air in...meaning there will be pressure in this area. It is in such a tight area that I don't even think I could get at the leak to rough up the area. I just discovered the leak yesterday, but have no idea how long it has been there. Not sure how I go the leak either. It is on the outside of the wing (the side facing the STA/Tank...not the side facing the wing).

Any other recommendations besides Aqua Seal?

By the way, I wasn't sure if this post should be here or in DIY. Moderator, please feel free to move if there is a more appropriate place for this post.

Thanks;

John

Why don't you contact Oxycheq. PM Patrick or DwainT and see what the people that make it have to say. As far as I can tell, neither one of them bite. :)

Why don't you contact Oxycheq. PM Patrick or DwainT and see what the people that make it have to say. As far as I can tell, neither one of them bite. :)

I did. I spoke w/ them today. They said to try Aqua-Seal. I asked if it would stick to the urethane bladder. Their answer was "I don't know, but you could try it. If it doesn't work, you can send the wing back and we can look at it".

I looked at urethane glues (basically epoxy, but felxible) today. I am going to try one that promises to dry clear and stay flexible and is 100% waterproof.

The leak is so small that it doesn't affect boyancy...I am just worried about it because I don't know how it got there. I am worried that it could get worse. If it is a wear point, at least the epoxy will provide some protection.

John

I did. I spoke w/ them today. They said to try Aqua-Seal. I asked if it would stick to the urethane bladder. Their answer was "I don't know, but you could try it. If it doesn't work, you can send the wing back and we can look at it".

I looked at urethane glues (basically epoxy, but felxible) today. I am going to try one that promises to dry clear and stay flexible and is 100% waterproof.

The leak is so small that it doesn't affect boyancy...I am just worried about it because I don't know how it got there. I am worried that it could get worse. If it is a wear point, at least the epoxy will provide some protection.

John

Why don't you do what Oxycheq suggested first?!

All the best,
Geoff

Check this product, Seam Grip by McNett. It is suitable for sealing nylon and many types of synthetic fabrics. I repaired my double bladder wing with this sealant. Did pool test, it held up air pressure very good. Want to test in open water this summer.

Sounds like a possible manufacturing defect and warranty issue (there are no cuts or obvious holes in the outer covering). I would send it back for their opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom