A Humbling Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I had a humbling experience last weekend. It was one that got me to thinking.

In the fresh water springs we always feed Vienna sausages to blue gill and American eels. One of my favorite teachings and warnings is “Salt water fish got teeth!

Last Sunday I was victim to an unprovoked attack by a toadfish. We were on the Hovercraft at Panama City Beach. Msquare and I had been out on the sand and were approaching the bow of the LCAC when I felt a sharp pain on my right thumb. I looked down at a 10 to 12 inch toadfish that was actually out of his hole and squaring off at me. My thumb leaked green stuff. MSquare gave me a concerned “Are you OK?” sign but I was still kind of dazed.

The most disconcerting thing about this whole incident was that it happened so quickly that there is no way I could have prevented it. I have always heard that you will never see the shark that bites you but never figured that my first marine bite would be – of all creatures – a toadfish.

Uncle Ricky says that I am lucky that he took one chomp and turned loose. Sometimes they hang on. All I know is that I still have scabs on my thumb.

Go figure!

Were these the same gloves that you used to feed sausages to freshwater fish on previous dives?

might have had some 'juice' in them that the fish sensed? (just an idea).

btw.... since I've never given a dental exam to a toadfish, I couldn't remember exactly what 'teeth arrangement' it had.

a google search found these two images..... I guess I'll respect their "bite" a little more now.

com_oystertoad1.323201048_std.gif
attachment.php

I wasn't wearing gloves. Just put my knuckles down on the bare metal platform and must have had my thumb extended. He was probably in a hole and thought my thumb was a baitfish.

You should change your sig:

Do not meddle in the affairs of toadfish, for your fingers are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Now that's a good one. Thanks!!!

You should change your sig:

Do not meddle in the affairs of toadfish, for your fingers are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Toadfish have been known to break finger bones. They crush crustaceans & shellfish & eat 'em in their day-to-day occupations. Their "normal" treatment of an intruder is two to four crushing bites with machine-gun rapidity before a short retreat and stand-off. When they can't back up they're liable to bite & hang on.
You were lucky :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom