Orlando dive operation advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjbildstein

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to get steered to a dive operation that that caters to salts not tourists.
I am traveling on business to the land of Mickey and I am going to dive the Couple of Wrecks they have in the area, so please if you can make a informed recommendation please do.
Patrick

I would like to get steered to a dive operation that that caters to salts not tourists.
I am traveling on business to the land of Mickey and I am going to dive the Couple of Wrecks they have in the area, so please if you can make a informed recommendation please do.
Patrick

Orlando is in the middle of the state.... :11: The only diving there is Disney's Divequest at Epcot and a few lakes you won't enjoy. Your options are to drive over to Madeira Beach / St. Petersburg, or to drive to New Syrmna with Sea Dog Divers, or drive down to Jupiter or Palm Beach County.

Have you ever done the Disney Dive (Divequest) that DeepStops mentioned? It seems a bit overpriced, but I've heard from other people who did it that it is a really neat experience. I plan to do it at some point. Dive Quest

Have you ever done the Disney Dive (Divequest) that DeepStops mentioned? It seems a bit overpriced, but I've heard from other people who did it that it is a really neat experience. I plan to do it at some point. Dive Quest

Dive Quest is a bit pricey if you book it as an individual(s) ($150?) but there are several instructors (see LOUMA on the board) who are able to get a group price through NAUI. that brings the cost down depending on how large your group is. (12 max I think). Remember with the cost of fuel going up... dive operators have to incrase their prices too to stay in business (currently as high as $90 for 2 tanks). The dive quest experience isn't that bad when you consider all of the factors. Remember DQ is only a 1 tanker with a 45 min. time limit and a dive charter is 2+ tanks.

I did dive quest last spring and think it is worth the trip .... once. If for no other reason to say you did it, get the t-shirt, and professional video to show your friends.
To get the most of the experience it is good to have friends and/or family in the park who can watch you through the glass. Truth is you'll never see a larger variety of fish in one dive as you will at Dive Quest.

If I were on a limited budget with limited time to dive here in FL, I'd book with Parrot Is. Adv. in Pompano (Ft. Laud. area) or go to the keys and book with one of several top notch dive charters there.
I do not own stock or gain any benefit from this comment. :D

I haven't done it yet, but I work for the Mouse and when my California boss is back in town later this month, he (also an avid diver) is supposed to be taking us over there to do DiveQuest. I'll be sure to post a review when I do!

As for Orlando... the closest thing, other than diving with the Mouse, is Blue Springs State Park. It's close and it's cheap, which is why I dive there so often. But it's really nothing amazingly fantastic to see unless you're huge into the whole springs thing.

I agree that your best bet will be to head south towards the ocean. Three hours or so will put you in the W. Palm Beach area. Personally, I'm a big fan of Narcosis Dive Charters out of Riviera Beach. Good crew and great boat to dive off of! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom