Tokara: Nakanoshima trip and photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just back from our Golden Week trip to Nakanoshima, as usual I'll post a quick summary here in case anyone else is interested in diving off Kagoshima.

Logistics: 90 minute flight from Tokyo (Haneda) to Kagoshima, then an hour bus ride to the ferry terminal and an overnight (7-9 hours) ferry ride south. We flew for 40k with Skynet Asia Airways (an ANA company).

Due to the connections, we had an afternoon in Kagoshima and ventured 90 minutes south to Ibusuki Onsen

Nakanoshima itself is a volcanic island, part of the Tokara chain. Population is currently 140, and there are no shops, restaurants or pretty much anything... a great place to get away from it all. A map here: Nakanoshima Map Kagoshima Japan

and more info here: Kagoshima Visitor's GUIDE / Update Newsletter

We stayed withg Nobu-san, and I highly recommend Club de la Mer... well - even it I didn't there is nobody else to dive with :) In addition to the free jacuzzi, comfy accomodation and relaxed attitude Nobu-san is also a superb chef and the dinner each night was spectacular. Website and blog here, I need to find someone to translate what he has said about us!

ŠCŸà‹äŠy•”
ŠCŸà‹äŠy•”BBS

The diving is relaxed, with a lot of hard corals, and tropical reef fish... we also saw a lot of turtles, mating cuttlefish, some sea snakes, and an uncommonly large number of brightly coloured dart gobies...

Some photos

The view from our minshuku

view.jpg

The view of the islands telescope - completely free to use!

telescope.jpg

A turtle

6db06eee.jpg

Mating cuttlefish - one is laying an egg in the coral and the other is waiting to fertilize it

350f2154.jpg

The whole island is an active volcano, and the effects can be seen underwater...

5db5d53b.jpg

Just burying my computer 5cm into the sand shows the temperature of the seabed - about 20cm it got too hot for my fingers to touch without getting burnt...

c078aec6.jpg

Finally - we had some gorgeous sunny days and clear blue water - 40m viz or more.

1ab9bebb.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom