No one likes Jacket Inflates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeliciousBrownTaste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been looking at threads for the past couple days and I've noticed that whenever there is one about jacket vs anything else, everyone prefers back inflate. Now obviously I've only had jacket inflate, but I would hate to make a big investment with just one side of the opinion. The only positive thing I've heard about Jacket is:
They are easier on the surface, but Back inflates are just as easy with practice
And they are easier to have with a class because you are on your knees on the sand...
Everything else I hear is bashing. Anyone who actually likes them and has tried both versions?

That'll be me then.:D
Have been diving a jacket for 25years now and still love it.
I did try a few back inflates and a couple of B/P W.actualy the new Hollis backinflate is comming my way for a couple of test dives.:14:
For me,as a instructor the jacket wins.

And now the flaming will start.:rofl3:

I prefer a back inflate.. or wing.

There are other factors that are much more important than vest vs back inflate vs BP/wing. A good BC is a good BC regardless of the style. More important issues are: Does the BC trap air? is the BC streamlined?

Most BCs are poorly designed, regardless of style. I use a Scubapro Classic Sport and haven't seen another BC of any style that compares favorably.

DeliciousBrownTaste:
And they are easier to have with a class because you are on your knees on the sand...

Get off your knees, there's no reason to be there.

Both versions are fine...as long as you are taught/develop good buoyancy.

Cheers.

-J.-

I am actually a fan of jacket style, just because I always liked how I felt in it. But at the moment I'm diving a wing because, well,.. they just don't make very many jacket style BC's for tech diving. But there is just something reassuring about having the jacket inflate around you (feels like a warm hug :p).

That'll be me then.:D
Have been diving a jacket for 25years now and still love it.
I did try a few back inflates and a couple of B/P W.actualy the new Hollis backinflate is comming my way for a couple of test dives.:14:
For me,as a instructor the jacket wins.

And now the flaming will start.:rofl3:

I tried that tact as well, 300bar. Holy Toledo, did I get fried! You'd have thought
I asked for a date with their mom.

I dive the Scubapro Classic Plus jacket style and love it. I've tried a few back inflates and recently tried a wing and still come back to the Classic. For me it's the perfect BC and the Scubapro quality is tough to beat.

BDSC

Hey, I have tried both and own both. I dive my jacket more because it suits photographers, at least me, better. Tough to dive doubles in a jacket though...

Oh, I agree with Walter, no need to be on the sand.

I just ordered my first BP/W last week. I started diving when a horse collar BC was your only option (if you wore one at all). My firts horse collar didn't have an LP inflator. You could only inflate it orally, or with the CO2 cartridge.

I dove a jacket stile BCD for a long time, but my last one just split a seam, so I made the choice to go with a wing.

Like Johnny Bravo said, as long as you have good boyancy what does it matter.

Back
Top Bottom