Venice Beach Dive on Wed 05/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlscozz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone interested in going to Alhambra or Service Club on Wednesday AM let me know. I am going for two dives starting around 10 am.

I just read the post about Depthfinders Dive Center. Does anyone know if that is daily or only on the weekends?

They do go out during the week if u can get 6 people to go. Im going with some friends out with them on weds but the boat is full or i would give an invite.

if u ever want to go on a wed let me knw im in and might be able to get a few to go with to help fill a boat.

I think they run regularly on Tuesday and Thursday to the boneyard if they get a full boat.

last call........ I am leaving the Ft Myers area around 8:30 and hope to be in the water around 9:45 at Alhambra unless anyone can tell me a better area. I will post a dive report when i get back in.

How about 9:30am at Service Club? I prefer this to Alhambra since there is a freshwater rinse for our gear...

How about 9:30am at Service Club? I prefer this to Alhambra since there is a freshwater rinse for our gear...

has someone posted directions to Service Club on the board? or can you post them? There is a group of 3 or 4 of us going next Thursday (5-15).

til then I'll be watching for a report.:14:

Dive Spot: Venice Beach, FL

Type of diving Shark tooth and fossil hunting in the Gulf of Mexico. This area is a prehistoric river bed and does yield more fossils than the shark’s teeth.

Type of diving: Shore, Kayak & Boat Dive

Directions:

From the North:
I-75 south to Laurel Rd East
Turn left (south) @ Tamiami Trail (US 41)
Exit to the right@ Business 41 and go over Draw Bridge (Florida West Scuba is next to drawbridge).
Turn right @ first traffic light (Tampa Ave.)
Turn left @ Harbor Drive South*

From the South:
I-75 north to Jacaranda Bvld.
Turn left @ East Venice Ave.

From Sarasota:
Tamiami Trail South (US 41)
Exit to the right @ Business 41 and go over Draw Bridge (Florida West Scuba is next to drawbridge).
Turn right @ first traffic light (Tampa Ave.)

*to Alhambra: Harbor Drive South to Alhambra Rd. (.46 miles), turn right follow to dead end. Parking is on the street; do not block driveways, park in same direction as traffic flow.

*to Service Club Park: Harbor Drive South 1.53 miles - on right. (27 04’42.47”N, 82 27’00.62”W)

* To Sharkey’s Park: 1.86 miles on right. (27 04’26.33”N, 82 26’58.28”W)

What to expect at the dive sites: Typical sharks teeth found are from the following: Dusky and Blacktip family, Sand Shark (current and prehistoric), Bull Shark, and Lemon Shark. Rarer but also found are Mako, Great White, Snaggle Tooth and Megalodon. Other fossils that can be found include dolphin, manatee, and whale bones, stingray stingers and crusher platelettes and tail vertabrae, porcupine fish platelettes, mammoth and mastadon teeth/tusk/vertebrae, sloth claws, alligator scales, and sabertooth teeth. Best times for hunting are a few days after a storm when the water has settled down. Depths are 16-18 feet; unless you swim a long way out then you may hit 20.

Amenities Florida West dive shop is about 1 mile north of the site on 41 literally just over the bridge back onto the main land. Sharkey's restaurant is at the base of the pier. Venice Beach's downtown district is 1/2 mile off with food and shops as well.

Both Service Club Park and Sharkey’s Park have paved parking, showers, restrooms and picnic tables. Service Club Park has a long boardwalk over the dunes which can be an obstacle for yak divers (about 100 yards to beach).

Dive sites:
Alhambra: best fossil hunting is between the pine trees to the north and the last condo to the south, about 100-200 yards offshore. There is also a reef (ledge) in this area (27 05’43.05”N, 82 27’ 58.04”W). 16- 20 fsw

Service Club: fossil beds can be patchy, but in general yield better finds, yak diving about ¼ mile off shore (very productive area). 15- 25 fsw

Boneyard: About .88 mile from Alhambra, 1.33 miles from Sharkey’s Park (27 05’07.15”N, 82 28’08.53”W). Very productive area Florida West takes charters to this area daily. 27 fsw

Pros and Cons When the water is clear lots of teeth can be found. When the water is a milky emerald green, there will be no visibility on the bottom and toothing is useless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom