Maine in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flahiker

Registered
Reaction score
The family is taking a trip to Maine this July. I said I would go if I could go diving. So, Is there anything near Bar Harbor? What is the water temp that time of year? Depth, Vis?

You bet there is! Check out my trip report from last summer. We're heading back in Late July.

There are plenty of great shore dives. Depths will generally take you into the 30-for foot range. There are deeper spots and others where there is so much to see at lesser depths that you won' care to go deeper.

In Late July you should be staying 50F and above. Earlier in the month you will dip into the 40s. Perfectly doable with good wet gear, if you're dry it's the way to go.

Visibility will vary with site and conditions but we generally enjoyed 10-20 feet sometimes more.

Pete

Pete,

I haven't been to maine since '86, si I don't really know the area that well. Are there any shops / dive outfits in the Bar Harbor area that would take a diver out? Are there any wrecks, ledges, or is it pretty much shore diving?

I would be the only diver on this trip. I don't mind doing a solo dive in certain parts of the Gulf or Keys, but I am very unfamiliar you have there. This is definitely stepping out of my element.

Also what is your definition of "good wet gear". Keep in mind, here I dive year round with a 1 mil suit or a 3 mil shorty.

Come on up to Bar Harbor... Diver Ed runs a weekly dive charter on Sunday mornings. We try go to different areas around MDI to dive. There are some great shore dives as well. Check out our website at The League of Underwater Superheroes . There are 2 dive shops in the area. One is in Southwest Harbor (real close to Bar Harbor), the second shop is in Dedham, ME on the way to Bar Harbor from Bangor on Rt 1A. A lot of us dive dry all year round, but a good 7MM wetsuit with a chicken vest should be all that you need, along with hood, gloves and booties. All of that type of gear can be rented at the dive shop in SW Harbor.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

I had a nice time on the shore diving / camping trip I took last summer to Acadia National Park. I must say, however, that the dives we did in Maine on the drive up to the park from MA were the nicest of the trip (Nubble Light and Biddeford Pool). In fact, the only really memorable dive we did in the Acadia area was in Sommes Sound. The rest were no different or better than what we generally find on Cape Ann, and with increased tidal swings up north, probably less fun to dive and plan. The camping and hiking, however, were truly fantastic. For fills, we used the shop in SW Harbor, which worked quite well. I remember the waters being in the upper 40s (was either late July or early August), maybe getting into the low 50s. I dive dry year round. Depths were in the 20-40' range.

But with the Boat Dives, we get to some areas around MDI that are not accessible by foot. The area off of Great Head is an awesome wall dive down to 120'. Out by Egg Rock Light House, there are some caves and really cool underwater granite features and canyons. We've even done some drift dives depending on the tides and currents. I think it will always be fun to dive around the MDI area. Sure sometimes you need to plan a little more, but that just gives lends to our experience levels more.

this may be a dumb question, but I think I read somewhere or saw some pictures of someone diving in Maine with seals. Could have been a Disney movie, or a dive website- does anyone know if there is a place?

this may be a dumb question, but I think I read somewhere or saw some pictures of someone diving in Maine with seals. Could have been a Disney movie, or a dive website- does anyone know if there is a place?

They will show up in certain coves and harbor settings. Some boat charters will do a seal dive as the second dive. Isle of Shoals across the border in NH is a very common seal destination.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom