Help to select Bali dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newbie Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone

I'm planning a trip to Bali in June and am allocating 2 days to dive, hence only 4 dives in all.

My friend and I are not keen on wreck diving and deep dive hence Liberty Wreck would be out for us.

Any recommendations? The dive operator who we're following recommended:

1) Nusa Penida (Manta Point + Gamet Bay)
2) Gili Mimpang

Have anyone dived at the above sites before? What can be seen there?

Thank you very much for any advice given.

Regards
Junn

Hi ND
In my opinion, tulamben (wreck, coral garden and drop off) is more suitable for beginer than Nusa Penida and Candi Dasa area incl. Gili Mimpang. Most part of wreck can be enjoyed by OW. Mild or no current, abundant fish incl. pelagic, fair visibility; basically diving for all level. My daughter (12 years) really enjoyed diving at Tulamben and Menjangan (wall diving) and she did 3 dives a day and not tiring.
Even night diving at Tulamben is considered easier than manta point. If you like pelagic / big fish (manta, shark) and you comfortable with strong current, indeed Manta point, Gili Mimpang and Biaha will be preferable.

Hi ND
In my opinion, tulamben (wreck, coral garden and drop off) is more suitable for beginer than Nusa Penida and Candi Dasa area incl. Gili Mimpang. Most part of wreck can be enjoyed by OW. Mild or no current, abundant fish incl. pelagic, fair visibility; basically diving for all level. My daughter (12 years) really enjoyed diving at Tulamben and Menjangan (wall diving) and she did 3 dives a day and not tiring.
Even night diving at Tulamben is considered easier than manta point. If you like pelagic / big fish (manta, shark) and you comfortable with strong current, indeed Manta point, Gili Mimpang and Biaha will be preferable.

100% agree.

yep i agree. I spent 1 week at Tulamben. The house reef in front of the tauch terminal is excellent. Easy diving, shallow, little/no current and you dive straight off the beach. Lots to see there.Just the ticket for 2 days diving. The surrounding area is also very nice.

dear all, thank you for your comments.

however other than tulamben, where else would be a good place? cos' my friend doesn't like wreck diving actually.

dear all, thank you for your comments.

however other than tulamben, where else would be a good place? cos' my friend doesn't like wreck diving actually.

Actually diving liberty wreck is not really wreck diving. You will not penetrate the ship, no dark tunnel; whole ship fully encrusted with soft and hard corals, with abundant marine life and tame fishes.
However, other than Liberty Wreck, still in Tulamben you can dive at Drop Off, Coral Garden and Batu Kelebit; or 15 minute drive to the East, is Cemeluk / Amed bay also suitable for beginer. Seraya near Tulamben is famous for muck diving; although no strong current, muck diving is not for every one, can be tiring for beginer as need more concentration to look small critters while maintain buoyancy. Other muck diving sites are Puri Jati and secret bay.
Other popular dive site in bali suitable for beginner is Menjangan Island and Pemuteran, 2 hours drive to the west from Tulamben.
But if you don't want travel too far from main tourist area, you still can dive at Nusa Dua and sanur just for getting wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom