Is there a max. weight for integrated BC's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Was wiondering if there's a maximum weight you can incorporate into a weight integrated BC.
I use 18# on a weight belt with a 1mm wetsuit and a vest style BC to get me down in super salty water.
The weight belt bruised the hell out of my hips.
I now have a weight integrated BC and wanted to know how much weight I can add to the BC and how much I'll still need on a belt......trim not factored in.
I can address trim when I get back in the water.

Depends on which BC you have. 18# between 2 pockets is 9# each I am pretty sure you shouldn't have a problem. I don't dive with a belt.

Trial & error will be your best friend ie some use it all in the BC-some all on a belt......around 50-50 sounds good to me as your next step, then try all in the BC.......either way will work, just find out which you like better......

Was wiondering if there's a maximum weight you can incorporate into a weight integrated BC.
I use 18# on a weight belt with a 1mm wetsuit and a vest style BC to get me down in super salty water.
I now have a weight integrated BC and wanted to know how much weight I can add to the BC and how much I'll still need on a belt......trim not factored in.

Whatever does not go into the BC stays on the belt. No more, no less. The new BC probably dictates a fresh weight check since the inherent bupyancy will vary.

Each BC model has rated capacities for the respective pockets and it varies with size. I think you are wel within the range of any I have seen.

Idealy you can get out of your rig at depth and both be neutral. This usually means most of the weight belongs on you, not in the BC.

Another means of avoiding bruises is soft weights.

Pete

Some of the Zeagle BC's are rated on their website to take up to 30 lbs in the front ripcord pockets, and up to 20 lbs in the rear trim pockets. This is not to say that you want to load 50 lbs into a BC with a 35 lb wing, but that those pockets will handle that capacity.

Another option to putting all the weight in the BC is to use a weight harness such as the DUI Weight & Trim II.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom