Suggested BP/W setup for possible convert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m considering trying a BP/W setup after a dive buddy's inputs and was looking for other input as well.

I dive socal waters, single tank, dive only to ~120’ on my favorite wreck, cold water (7 mm wetsuit). Lots of shore diving, occasional boat. Warm water trip once a year (Bahamas this month – woooowhooo!!).

For this type of diving, what would be an appropriate BP/W setup? Seems I need a harness, BP (SS or Al?), wing and weight pockets. I see setups with back pads, lumbar supports, etc. – confusing. What would be a quality, long range setup that doesn’t break the bank – Say <$450? Thanks all.

Oh yeah, I'm 6' tall, ~215# (I likes my beer:14:) if that helps.

Call Tobin at Deep Sea Supply. All the words I'd type here couldn't sort you out like he could.

Your price range is pretty close to his rigs as well.

I would go with either Deep Sea Supply or Oxycheq. Companies are about equal, both have VERY high quality products and good service. The site I listed below you can get a Oxycheq system with the Mach V for less than $500. Deep Sea Supply website can also take care of you for your price range

ADD HELIUM ONLINE STORE, Technical scuba diving gear

Well, $450 is a tall order, but Deep Sea Supply sells a BPW setup for $465. People also mentioned Oxycheq. I originally was going to buy DSS when I was starting diving, but I researched more and found that Agir Brokk has much stronger quality gear. The price however goes to about $715

I would go with either Deep Sea Supply or Oxycheq. Companies are about equal, both have VERY high quality products and good service. The site I listed below you can get a Oxycheq system with the Mach V for less than $500. Deep Sea Supply website can also take care of you for your price range

ADD HELIUM ONLINE STORE, Technical scuba diving gear

+1 What he said...

You can't go wrong with either. Since Tobin's out near you I might be more apt to give him the business without a second thought. Either way I'm not sure you'd get anything better.

Well, $450 is a tall order, but Deep Sea Supply sells a BPW setup for $465. People also mentioned Oxycheq. I originally was going to buy DSS when I was starting diving, but I researched more and found that Agir Brokk has much stronger quality gear. The price however goes to about $715

I'd beg to differ with this. I've used gear from Oxycheq, Agir, DSS, Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS, and a few others. I own gear from most of them.

Agir, Oxycheq, and DSS are actually quite similar in many regards, but certainly in quality. I'd recommend any of the three without hesitation.

At Scubatoys I just ordered a SS backplate, Diverite Hog harness, Mach V "Extreme" wing, STA and 2 tank straps for $500. If you used a Mach V signature, it would be close to $450. I don't know that it can get much better than that.

At Scubatoys I just ordered a SS backplate, Diverite Hog harness, Mach V "Extreme" wing, STA and 2 tank straps for $500. If you used a Mach V signature, it would be close to $450. I don't know that it can get much better than that.

Without going for used gear to shave a little off here and there, it's hard to beat that. And the Mach V is definitely the best singles wing out there, although Tobin's gear brings a few special advantages to the table when you match his wings to his plates.

All this excitement is wonderful. And all of the brand names mentioned here are good.

Suggestion - try it before you buy it. this with this - that with that. good for me - good for him - maybe not good for you. If your gonna buy say five bills large, make sure you like it before you buy it.

Cut a deal with your local dive shop (tech or otherwise), on a try it before you buy it deal. You rent it, you like it, you'll buy it from them. No rental - no buy.

Here are some configuration (of many) of gear that I dive in a similiar set-up to your 7mm wetsuit (I have 5mm wet, 7mm dry): deep outdoors matrix II (or with BP with unistrap webbing) with SS backplate, and from Halcyon weighted STA with usually the 30# lift Halcyon donut (sometimes the 40# lift donut)

Go check out what works best for you and let us know.

My 2 psi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom