Scuba Diving magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking through the latest issue of Scuba Diving, which I received in the mail yesterday... You know, it's really hard to ignore the "oooooo" factor in a lot of this stuff. I still think hoseless guages are really cool, and I still think that computers have a place for the recreational diver who doesn't want to learn all of "that stuff." Besides, it's a redundant source of information. The problem is that they vary from really, really conservative to totally incorrect, and that's if they're working properly. Still, I can completely see why someone would want one.

Of course, the bottom line is that once you get in the water, however the "piece" looked in the magazine makes no difference. It's all about functionality.

Still, I'm a sucker for great marketing... And I don't see anything wrong with that... If that's what I like, so long as I end up with the best gear.

The other day I was walking to my car, when I reached into my pocket and hit my keyless remote. As it always does, my car unlocked itself and the lights flashed twice. It's a really nice little gizmo (that I had to add aftermarket) that makes life just a little bit simpler. It keeps me from having to fumble with my keys, and it keeps door scratches to a minimum. It's a great, simple device that works well and makes life just a little easier. I'm glad I bought it.

I can't help but to think about how GUE would see this... DIR has the flavor of simplicity, which is great... In their world, keyless remotes surely would be bad. In fact, they wouldn't even have doors or windows on their cars... They'd be made of either stainless or aluminum, have no windows or doors ("hinges are for wussies") and you'd just get in Bo and Luke Duke style. Their method of security would be The CLUB, no doubt. Why? Well... Becuase it's simple... Secure... Functional... Inexpensive... I could go on and on...

So it's killing me to say it, but in a way, I can see the mass market appeal of a lot of gear. Yes, we are certainly talking about scuba here, where ignorance and the unknowing newbie buys most of the gear... Thus, there are simply a lot of products out there that just aren't necessary, effective, or even desired. For example, there's this new snorkel out now that's made of a large diameter, thin-walled silicone tube... When not in use, you roll it up into this little donut-shaped housing, and place it in the pocket of your BC. It's too cool for words... You must see this little gizmo. Unfortunately, most of us prefer to go without a snorkel altogether, unless we're actually going SNORKELING, in which case we would appreciate the size and stiffness of a conventional snorkel. Not to mention that you need a POCKET in your BC, which is typically a problem, from a drag/streamling perspective. My point? Well... When in the world would you ever need this $40 snorkel? Divers know that at the surface, air consumption from a tank is nearly nothing, or they can float on their back and swim (more effective anyway), negating the need for a snorkel. On the other hand, this gizmo's "cool factor" is so high that I could entertain myself for hours putting it together and taking it apart. Forget snorkeling with it... Keep it on your desk at work as a stress reliever. LOL.

My point? I'm not above wanting something just because I want it. I still think that the Vytec hoseless, air integrated, wrist-mounted computer is one of the coolest things in underwater electronics. And I still enjoy my big, nearly freediving-style Mares Quattros. I think that the Atomic M1 is the coolest looking regulator on the market, and I applaud Mares for being so daring as to "think outside the box" and create something like the H.U.B system. I still think the Black Diamond is the kind of BC that makes me do the Tim Allen "argh-argh" whenever I see it, and I really enjoy my little PCa Ikelight as a cool little backup for when I need a really bright spot of light to tell me what color that eel really is in that hole.

The flip side of the coin is that I'm finding out that if you're really serious about diving, you're going to want the simplest gear in the world that always works... And there's no doubt that the best-functioning gear I've found is that which DIR preaches. Like a racing car, the gear is spartan, simplistic, rugged, and as fail-safe as it gets.

But I'm not above enjoying a leather interior, carpet, and a nice stereo system either, you know. :D My bet is that Richard Petty has a very comfortable seat in his daily driver... Not to mention a great stereo and maybe even some fuzzy dice. :D

Wow, it's only what, about three weeks since your DIRF class, and you're losing the connection. The sirens are singing and you forgot the wax to plug your ears, you're heading for the rocks, dude!

Here's some comfort for you, SeaJay: open JJ's book and look at the DIR gear configuration. Look very carefully at the diver's "bottom timer." It's a Suunto Vyper computer. :wacko:

Also, look at the report on the Doux de Coly dive on the GUE website. The diver was using a Suunto Vyper as a gauge. But there's no way the guy was using it for anything else.

As for the rest, well, let me pour you some koolaid and we'll talk....

SeaJay once bubbled...
For example, there's this new snorkel out now that's made of a large diameter, thin-walled silicone tube... When not in use, you roll it up into this little donut-shaped housing, and place it in the pocket of your BC. It's too cool for words... You must see this little gizmo. Unfortunately, most of us prefer to go without a snorkel altogether, unless we're actually going SNORKELING, in which case we would appreciate the size and stiffness of a conventional

I will confess that I've been eyeing this particular snorkel out. :rolleyes: I think it's by Aqualung - or so I've been told. I was informed of this new snorkel (never actually seen it) during a discussion during which I was moaning about my search for a snorkel that I could keep in my BC pocket (which isn't big) and the comparable size of the ones that fold into thirds.

The appeal of this rolled-up wonder was in it's size when stowed. How it actually functions is another story - and I'm waiting to hear from someone that actually has tried it.

I don't think so.

I've quit smoking (that's been an amazing journey) and my diet's changed completely. No doubt I will probably focus on a very reduced intake of animal products and other foods proven to be unhealthy in large quantity. I don't know that I'll ever be a complete vegetarian, but I'm on that path... I think I might just play the 80-20 rule... Still working on that one.

...And certainly I'm "getting it" with DIR gear. No doubt, if you want performance buoyancy and trim then DIR's the way to go. When's that necessary? Well... Nearly any time you get in the water... Over a coral reef, in an overhead environment, in a cave system, or any time you're over a silty bottom. Frog kicks are both more efficient and better at propelling a diver. I understand it. No doubt I will persue this avenue of diving, and I will practice until my fins fall off.

But you have to admit that most of the divers here and in the Carribbean, for example, are just fine with a 'puter, split fins, stab jackets, and integrated weights. And they look good, all color coordinated and such. Short hoses don't require clipping off when you drop them, and they're right where you expect them to be, since they're so short.

I swear, I'm not backing out on DIR... I just bought a Gary Hoadley SS backplate last weekend, fer chrissakes. My regular swims at the local pool involve floating in the shallow end for a half hour, at 3' of depth, never toughing bottom or surface. I found myself practicing an S-drill in my sleep the other day.

I'm just pointing out the mass market appeal of other gear. And after having stayed up all night trying to drill out a nut and bolt that was rusted into a backplate, I can understand the appeal. After having spent many a night figuring out where my perfect weight and trim would lie, I can understand the simplicity of using a simple BC and some weights to properly weight yourself, rather than something so permanent as a bp/wings. I can understand the desire to NOT dive Hogarthian, just as much as I can understand the desire TO dive Hogarthian.

Frankly, I hope I never lose sight of both sides. You know, new dive technology will be "stroke gear" before it becomes DIR, simply because the average "stroke" consumer embraces the newest, latest, and greatest. Sure, they're off on most counts, but I can see the appeal.

In fact, I'm going to go down to the LDS this weekend and dive a new Scubapro Classic Air and a new Knighthawk... Then Sunday I'll be in the water with my Gary Hoadley, doing a "game day" saltwater artifact dive and practicing my S-drills.

I'll let you know how it goes, and my impressions of the weekend. :D

SeaJay, you're going diving in a new Knighthawk, eh? All the DIR guys have chipped in to send you an emergency supply of Kool Aid. You may need to take it intraveneously.

chepar once bubbled...

I will confess that I've been eyeing this particular snorkel out. :rolleyes: I think it's by Aqualung - or so I've been told. The appeal of this rolled-up wonder was in it's size when stowed. How it actually functions is another story - and I'm waiting to hear from someone that actually has tried it.

Well, I think I have too much pride to use a snorkel, but I can tell you this... They come in either clear silicone or black silicone, and the one I picked up first was the black one. (A DIR snorkel?) LOL...

The little donut-shaped case is admittedly a little bit smaller than the fold-up snorkels that I've seen... Although I've never seen the point of any of it, since I leave my snorkel in my bag unless I am snorkeling.

The real advantage, I would think, that this snorkel would have over other fold-ups is the fact that it won't leak. Fold-ups are notorious for leaking. I will tell you, though, that this snorkel, like any fold-up I've ever seen, seems slightly undersized over normal snorkels, meaning that in any kind of waves, you're more likely to get swamped using a foldup than a standard. And IMHO, pretty much the only time I use a snorkel is when I am specifically snorkeling or the waves are so huge that the extra foot or so of height offered by a snorkel keeps your airway dry. 'Coures, if that's the case, then why not simply stay at 20' of depth and swim back to the boat...

...So my advice, after having seen it? Use a standard snorkel with a small silicone valve at the bottom of the "J"... And only then when you're actually snorkeling. When you're diving, leave the whole shebang on the boat.

This item? It's very cool... But I don't know that I'd want to use one. :D

P.S.: The Vytec is a commonly used BT with DIR-ites, although those willing to spend the dosh will usually buy the Stinger or even the Mosquito. The Vytec, the one I still think is so cool, is hoseless and air integrated... And very non-DIR. As I said before, we're talking about a $900 piece of equipment that is either overly conservative, totally wrong, or not working altogether... So I don't see how I could think it was "cool." But I must admit to being attracted to it for what it's meant to be... A running tally, without hoses, of all of your information, including remaining air time and nitrogen levels.

I can't help it. :D

WJL once bubbled...
Wow, it's only what, about three weeks since your DIRF class, and you're losing the connection. The sirens are singing and you forgot the wax to plug your ears, you're heading for the rocks, dude!

Very well said! Just what I was thinking but you put it into better words.

WW

WJL once bubbled...
SeaJay, you're going diving in a new Knighthawk, eh? All the DIR guys have chipped in to send you an emergency supply of Kool Aid. You may need to take it intraveneously.

Hahahaaa!!

Get this... I actually *like* the new weight release system offered by SeaQuest this year.

Sure, plastic's brittle in cold water, but I never dive cold water. Don't we all get annoyed with these people driving these huge, 4wd SUV's that never go offroad? Isn't it funny that they've purchased something that never sees it's intended purpose? Well... I don't see anything wrong with plastic here in tropical waters. Sure, it'll die after a few years, but I'm sure I'll wear it out before then.

Know what this feels like? It feels like the truck vs. car debate. The guy that lives in the country and is a HVAC technician can't imagine owning a Honda Civic. And I can see why! But I can certainly understand why the dude who needs a solid commuter car for going to work every day (not to mention the fact that it's totally reliable, great on gas, and a blast to drive) would want the Honda.

I'm just saying that I can see the point in stroke gear. :D I think that if we were to apply some of the marketing to Halcyon and Dive Rite and whatever... Well... We might have something really special. Kinda like a Toyota pickup. Smooth, refined, simple, and yet tough and great for the long haul.

What would we call those who sat halfway between stroke and DIR? What would we call those who could drink equally kool aid and beer?

"Ebony... And ivory... Live together in perfect... Harmony..." LOL!!!

Just the other day I got in the water with my drysuit to change the zincs and clean the bottom on my boat. Yeah, its a lowly job, but someone has to do it, and you can do some work and hit the swear-per-minute meter pretty good getting "bound up" fasteners out of wasted zincs :)

Anyway, I had on my Vytec, because I have that wireless transmitter, and I was interested in the pressure remaining. Mind you, running out of air at 5' is not a big deal, but heh, we may as well glance at it once in a while right?

Gotta tell 'ya - I think the DIRites are silly on this one. The Vytec can be "detuned" on its conservatism, if you want (its the only one of Suunto's that can) using RGBM50.

But let's face it - Haldane and Buhlman, while venerable and getting many people out of the water safely, are dated views on how deco really works. RGBM is (arguably) more "correct" as a theory. So why would you garf about a computer that actually plays by THOSE rules, while using one on your desktop that plays by KNOWN outdated ones?

Might you get away with being more aggressive? Sure. You might. No argument. Why would I argue with that? DCS is not a science, its a theory, and even blowing stop(s) entirely does not GUARANTEE that you will get bent. Some folks get away with it. Some folks get away with it often. Others don't. :eek:

Do I like my Vytec? Yep. A lot. Right along with my BP, Wing, bungied backup, conventional weight belt and long hose (7') primary.

This is why I doubt I could ever be "DIR" in reality, because I don't buy into the religious stuff. And let's face it - the argument about technology on your wrist is all about religious purity.

Technology isn't bad. It can, in fact, be real good. You don't breathe a double-hose regulator any more, do you? Why not? Its "simpler"; no IP running around to worry about. To those who eschew computers on their wrists, why does it matter where yours is carried? Mine is on my wrist for diving - yours is at your house, or on the boat. If I need to recompute my profile underwater, it happens automatically. Your computer is a bit far away to do that if the need arises. If you want to claim to be a purist, then do the calculations by HAND, on a piece of PAPER, with a PENCIL!

THEN you have a point.

Otherwise we're just arguing about WHERE the computer is, not whether we're using one or not - 'cause you are.

You say that I'm hosed if my computer dies. I say that the dive is over if my computer dies, and that I need a means to back up any single failure, just like you do. I have one. Your SPG can fail, but that doesn't mean you don't carry one.

With my pressure on my wrist, along with everything else, glancing at it takes no effort and no time. Unclipping a regular SPG takes both. Is the difference in time and effort material? Not really. But I bet I check mine more often than you do yours. If yours fails, you have no idea how much gas was used since you last looked. Neither do I, but with the shorter interval between checks that I have I bet I have a far better idea about how much is left than you do.

Is technology expensive? Yeah. So what? If you want to navigate with a map, sextant and compass instead of a GPS, go right ahead. No skin off my nose.

But running around calling people names ("stroke") for choosing to buy and use the GPS is rather silly.

Especially when they're sitting on the dive site with their boat two hours before you find it, and are having lunch between their seocnd and third dives before you get there.

Back
Top Bottom