Florida Panhandle diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My husband and I are planning a family beach vacation with the kids and grandparents. Last year, we did a few dives out of Destin. Can anyone recommend a place, either Fort Walton Beach, Destin, Pensacola, Panama City, etc. that is a nice place to spend our vacation with the kids, but will also allow us to do a few awesome dives while we are there?

Thanks!!

Awesome dives? Do you mean shore dives or boat dives? I wouldn't consider the shore dives to be "awesome" but can be enjoyable and entertaining dives for the price. Destin jetties, PCB jetties, Navarre pier, Pensacola Beach, etc. There are also freshwater spring dives about an hour away.

For boat dives, I've heard the Destin and PCB ops only like to go to a few close in places. Much better diving and dive ops out of Pensacola. About a dozen charters to choose from and 50 dive sites of all types and depths.

Pensacola and Destin are about an hour apart, halfway between (maybe a bit closer to Destin) is Navarre. That might be a great place to stay, puts you 30 minutes or less to either location. The beach at Navarre is great and the condos run a little cheaper. The area is much less crowded and much quieter. Pensacola is also kinda quiet though not so much as Navarre. On the other hand, if hustling and bustling is what you want then Destin is your place.

Reefhound,

Thanks for the great recommendations. We appreciate your support.

You are correct, Pensacola has more sites and a greater variety of trip options. Pensacola Beach prides itself on being a family destination, and there is the Aviation Museum and other attractions. Navarre Beach is a nice quiet place and a great beach. Nothing is really that far from anything, so in the area is the key. Let us know if we can provide any additional info or recommendations. Look forward to seeing the family in Pensacola.

Dr Dive
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany

Dr Dive,

Here in Panama City, we do not just like to dive the close in stuff. The close in stuff is easy to get to, and not bad, but we ran to the "Grey Ghost" the other day. I guess I should start by saying I represent the Dive Locker, here in Panama City Beach, and we run all the time. Give us a call 850 230 8006
Todd

Yarbrough,

Let's trade trips sometime and get personally acquainted with what our respective towns have to offer. I'd love to be better informed about PC Diving.

Dr Dive

and todd make sure everyone get their free beer

Boblit3,

I see you have been here before. Hope to see you again.

Todd

Yarbrough,

Let's trade trips sometime and get personally acquainted with what our respective towns have to offer. I'd love to be better informed about PC Diving.

Dr Dive

You betcha... We will gladly get you out on some of our trips... just let us know.

Todd

S.N.I.A.B.:popcorn:

I think The panhandle won't disappoint you whichever you pick. Especially if you have never been here before. I would like to add in defense of PCB that we aren't exactly only the home to Spring Break. My favorite wrecks include the Grey Ghost, Chippewa, Tarpon, Commander, Twin Tugs and Accokeek plus Stage 1 and old Navy platform that is now just support legs (think oil rig) over acre in size from 55' to 105'. Then there are the more popular spots like the Black Bart and Strength plus the 14 different bridge spans LOS Pontoon, Liberty ship, Hover Craft... you get the idea, there is abit more than just 2 spots to see here. Nevermind the actual limestone reefs...... :)

As Todd mentioned above they will take you there, as will I or a "few" other charters here in town if you decide to visit Panama City. If the members at large don't answer all your questions I am sure there are more than a few of us who have scuba related businesses on this board that would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Yarbrough,

Do you or any of the other ops cater to speros up there? I will be in Port St Joe this July.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom