Newb question regarding flounder...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sorry if this is a stupid question. Do people snorkel and flounder gig?
I live near the coast in Texas. I've never seen anyone doing this, but was wondering if it is done.
If so, is there a name for it? I

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Do people snorkel and flounder gig?
I live near the coast in Texas. I've never seen anyone doing this, but was wondering if it is done.
If so, is there a name for it? I

Shark baiting......

I have stabbed flounders with dive knives, as well as pole spears on Scuba. I guess you could do the same snorkeling.

My son and I spearem up here in the Puget Sound snorkeling all winter long.

We do it quite often using pole spears. I just got SCUBA certified but have done it while snorkeling both at noght and during the day.

We hit fluke with pole spears while snorkeling here in the bays. Mostly during the day to have a fresh dinner.

Oh,
And I've speared flounder both day and night. I've never used the knife successfully during the day, but have been successful with the pole spear in the day. (All of the above done in the Gulf of Mexico).

We used to swim out to the second sandbar on fall nights here in PCB and spear them with pole spears. That got alittle too sharky though. FYI the state of Florida defines spearfishing as taking a fish by piercing it while swimming. If you are not swimming it is just spearing. Gigging is just regular spearing until you do it while swimming, and even using a dive knife while swimming counts a spearfishing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom