Wider Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have seen several options for a longer backplate but in my case I'm wondering if there might be a wider one. I am of the mid-sized (6'0) stocky guy with the broad shoulders. I can wear a L/XL shirt everywhere else by often have to go to the XXL to fit my shoulders. I currently have a Koplin SS plate and a DR AL plate. For single tanks these work fine and even my DBL 95's seem to be fine, but now that I have a set of LP108s, the added weight seems to be slipping them further out to my shoulders and reducing my range of motion. I was trying to clip off my light head the other day and was having some trouble with it because the weight was pulling the shoulder straps out far enough that I couldn't manage a clip very well, especially not in blue gloves. :spock: I was wondering if a there was a wider backplate that would allow the tanks to sit more squarly on my shoulders instead of the shoulder straps pulling out at longer angles. Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

....side bar, this was my 666 posting. Ducking for cover....

DSS makes a wide plate.

I have seen several options for a longer backplate but in my case I'm wondering if there might be a wider one. I am of the mid-sized (6'0) stocky guy with the broad shoulders. I can wear a L/XL shirt everywhere else by often have to go to the XXL to fit my shoulders. I currently have a Koplin SS plate and a DR AL plate. For single tanks these work fine and even my DBL 95's seem to be fine, but now that I have a set of LP108s, the added weight seems to be slipping them further out to my shoulders and reducing my range of motion. I was trying to clip off my light head the other day and was having some trouble with it because the weight was pulling the shoulder straps out far enough that I couldn't manage a clip very well, especially not in blue gloves. :spock: I was wondering if a there was a wider backplate that would allow the tanks to sit more squarly on my shoulders instead of the shoulder straps pulling out at longer angles. Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

....side bar, this was my 666 posting. Ducking for cover....

If the shoulder straps are limiting your range of motion by bearing on the top of your deltoids you can move the straps inboard by crossing them behind your head.

Crossing has a couple impacts besides moving the straps inboard, the plate will drop about an inch, and you need longer webbing.

I doubt the issue is the weight of the 108's. 108's are less negative than 95's, either full or empty.

Tobin

If the shoulder straps are limiting your range of motion by bearing on the top of your deltoids you can move the straps inboard by crossing them behind your head.

Crossing has a couple impacts besides moving the straps inboard, the plate will drop about an inch, and you need longer webbing.

I doubt the issue is the weight of the 108's. 108's are less negative than 95's, either full or empty.

Tobin

This was when I was on the boat gearing up and not under water. I have to clip things on after I get set up sometimes due to clearance getting my shoulders and arms in. The 108's are definitely heavier on land than my 95's. I should have enough webbing to cross the straps and will see how that works.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom