Is the TransPac a full-on tech BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igoRluse

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I am a fairly experienced diver looking to start down the tech diving path this year. I currently dive a Seaquest Black Diamond but intend to get myself a much more tech oriented BCD for my new adventures. For background, I am an instructor and the Black Diamond is great for teaching as it is a sturdy back inflate BCD with crotch strap, plenty of rings etc.. and it is still similar enough to typical jacket style BCDs students use. I wouldn't use a backplate/wing system for teaching as I like my students to be able to relate to my gear.

Now I am very tempted by the TransPac for it's comfort, but would like some opinions as to whether it is a full-on tech BCD ideally suited for twin steels, multiple stage bottles etc... Not that I intend to do anything of the sort just yet, but I want to get the proper gear now rather than upgrade later.

So what do you think? Is the TransPac an ideal tech BCD or should I rather look at the TransPlate?

Cheers

It's decent for singles and sidemount. I'm not impressed by them with doubles. Better to use a real backplate, especially once you start loading down the harness.

I'd look at a basic harness rather than the transplate harness. Sometimes less is more.

So what do you think? Is the TransPac an ideal tech BCD or should I rather look at the TransPlate?

Neither in my opinion. Buy a BP/W and be done with it.

Ditto the last 2 posts.

I have used a Transpack for many years to do both single tank & staged deco dives using double steel 12lt 232 bar backmounts & 1, 2 or 3 stage bottles. It is most definitely a full-on tech BCD suited for twin steels, multiple stage bottles etc... If it fits properly & set up correctly, it will be as stable as any other platform you can use.

An SS BP/W however, will redistribute it's weight from your weight belt/pockets nicely across your back. As the Transpack has 3-4lb of positive buoyancy inherent in it's construction materials, using an SS plate will also eliminate 3-4lb from your weight belt/pockets.

These days I only use my Transpack when diving doubles in a wet suit or when travelling by air.

I own a transpac and really like it for large single tank diving however I have found that a backplate makes more sense when diving doubles with argon bottle, canister light, mutiple stage bottles in a drysuit. I also owned a Black Diamond but like the Traspac much better so I now use that for everything I did in the Black Diamond. Its much more flexible because you can change the configuration to suit your diving. My choice is BP for doubles, Transpac for training/light tech work.

Although I'm a devoted ScubaPro X-Tek user (the equivalent of the original Transpac), I would only use it for diving a single tank with stage or pony. For doubles I have a BP.

5 out of 6 Scubaboard responders will tell you its not...

Oops...make that 6 out of 7 as I don't think it is stable enough with or well suited to doubles either.

In my opinon, it is however a pretty good single tank travel BC.

Neither in my opinion. Buy a BP/W and be done with it.

While it is not a DIR BP/W, the Transplate is indeed a BP/W.

Back
Top Bottom