What lengths have you gone to for a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltwater Junky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The story begins.... in Macon, GA 3weeks ago my dive buddies and I planned a trip to the Oriskany for May 3. Two days before the trip we get a call from our charter announcing the cancellation due to 4-6' seas. A little bummed by this, but still wanting to get a couple O/W's in, so we decided to charter out of New Smyrna Beach, Fl thinking the Atlantic would be OK. We hurriedly booked our charter and hotel last Thursday, May 1. The next morning( Friday, May 2) we motor'd on down to Ginnie Springs for a couple of dives. Before we could get our gear on we get a call from New Smyrna Beach ...you guessed it...to cancel our dive....yep 4-6' seas and 8-10 viz. We ask if it is because of the viz, because we don't care...been in 3ft viz....we really wanted to dive salt water:D......can you tell we haven't been on a boat in 4-6' seas? Oh, by the way the dive site at New Smyrna Beach was 18nm offshore. Well, the charter said they ain't going out in 4-6' seas. Rats! Plans foiled once again. We were determined to salt water dive. We decided to head a little further south. Pompano Beach was the ticket. I called my acquaintance Enzo and booked our wreck dives. After all of that, we finally we able to dive Ginnie. We couldn't cancel our hotel in Daytona, so we had to spend the night in Daytona and drive to Pompano Beach. After Ginnie we drove to Daytona and rolled in to bed @12:30am and left for our dive at 4am....we had to be at the dock by 7:30am. We made our dive right on time. The dives were nice. The 1nm boat ride out was exciting with 4-6' seas. The surface interval was not so fun.:icosm13: Would we do it again? YES, and have plenty of Dramamine.:D (1000 Miles travelled)

Not nearly as exciting as your venture. I had a dive scheduled and it was cancelled due to 6' seas. I called all over to find another boat, but none were running in the rough water.

I really was needing to get wet. It had been at least 2 weeks since my last dive and I was determined to dive. I ended up going to Deerfield Beach and doing a beach dive. It was a real PITA fighting the waves (felt like 10' at the time) to get out, but the dive was great. Getting out was much easier than getting in.

Would I do it again? Have to think about it pretty hard, but probably would.

I have a solution to our inclement weather problem. A submarine! Just imagine not having to contend with rough seas. We would enter/exit the water while submerged. Yes, I have a dream. Now does anyone have an idea as to where I may find a sub and a captain to pilot it? :pray:

My story doesn't involve a dive, but getting to the dive site. My wife and I were headed to Boniare last year for a June trip. We were packing on Thursday for a departure on Saturday. As we were packing, we noticed that her Philippines passport was expired. She got on a plane Friday morning, flew to Washington D.C., drove to the Philippines Embassy, got a new passport, drove back to the airport, flew home, and we left on schedule Saturday morning.

Worth it? You bet your butt!

Max
PADI IDCS 198186

I have a solution to our inclement weather problem. A submarine! Just imagine not having to contend with rough seas. We would enter/exit the water while submerged. Yes, I have a dream. Now does anyone have an idea as to where I may find a sub and a captain to pilot it? :pray:

I got the sub covered, somebody just needs to write a check to have it built :D

2010 Submarine 65m Yacht - NEWBUILD Boat For Sale

1299168_1.jpg

I got the sub covered, somebody just needs to write a check to have it built :D

2010 Submarine 65m Yacht - NEWBUILD Boat For Sale

1299168_1.jpg
I've got one of those already! I paid for it with all the money I make teaching scuba diving! I don't play with it much, though. It makes Mr. Ducky jealous when I put too many toys in the tub!

Max
PADI IDCS 198186

Captain Nemo eat your heart out. Let me get my check book.

Back
Top Bottom