DIR practice - fin mechanics two methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In the DIR-F training videos on fin mechanics several of the kicks have 2 methods. The videos don't make the distinction really obvious to the untrained observer (me). But I think I've figured the main difference is they are showing knees together for the second method for frog kick 1 and 2, helicopter turn 1 and 2, and backward kick 1 and 2.

Is this correct or is there something more to the difference between them?

Maybe someone else can do better explanations than me but a modified frog is basically a frog done mostly from the ankle and a helicopter turn is basically a modified frog with one leg.

WW

There isn't really a frog kick 1 and frog kick 2, those are just different angle shots for you to see what's going on. The helicopter kick also has a backward kick on the other leg.
Your kicks are:
  • Frog
  • Modified Frog
  • Modified Flutter
  • Backward
  • Helicopter
Those are enough to get down well without trying to double them :D

-will

Thanks Caffiend I feel a lot better, I must have watched them 4 times each trying to find what was different! I'm embarrased I was looking so hard. I might have started to see things that weren't there <lol>. I'm glad to know there isn't a knees together and knees apart versions of each <sigh of relief>.

I was practicing in the Ocean a few minutes ago really difficult. I had to remove my BC and move my tank up even higher in the band to reach the valve, but then my trim sucked cause my legs started floating up with the tank higher, and that's even with my new Scuba Pro XL Jet Fins. I just ordered the spring straps - which should add a little more weight. I practiced everything I saw in the videos.

The backward kick is more difficult but it isn't too hard. Just got to press the fins in parallel as you slide them away from your body - so as to disturb as little water as possible. I did come to appreciate I have to be patient since going backwards you don't get nearly as significant a movement as any forward kick. One's foot and ankle doesn't bend quite as far in that direction - to make the blade oppose the water more. But I was moving backward I did it about 20 feet or so. I'm sure with practice I can go faster. Just now I'm noticing calf and shin muscles I didn't know I had!

The overall body postion in the water is more difficult to maintain, kind of have to arch your back a bit. It's much easier with a slightly head up position like a 15-20% angle.

Of all the kicks the modified frog is definitely my favorite - a little harder than the frog but I like it best.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
The backward kick is more difficult but it isn't too hard. Just got to press the fins in parallel as you slide them away from your body - so as to disturb as little water as possible. I did come to appreciate I have to be patient since going backwards you don't get nearly as significant a movement as any forward kick. One's foot and ankle doesn't bend quite as far in that direction - to make the blade oppose the water more. But I was moving backward I did it about 20 feet or so. I'm sure with practice I can go faster. Just now I'm noticing calf and shin muscles I didn't know I had!

Just keep in mind, the main purpose of the back kick is to maintain position, or to arrest forward motion before you crash into something (like your buddy in an OOA drill). It's not about speed.

Cause I don't think anyone is going to break any records using it <LOL>

I certainly won't. I can use it effectively, but it's still far from a textbook performance.

It took me a good bit of practice to get the backwards kick down. The way I think of it is as a circular scoop with the top of your fins. First scooping out to the side a bit and then scooping your ankles towards your head. With practice you can move 15-20' with one kick. Which isn't too bad.

I'm still trying to do backward kicking with my Blades and I can't see what I'm doing back there!:rolleyes:

Besides a video of me doing it, what is the next best way to know what you're doing (or not doing)? A buddy helping out, maybe....
I can go backwards, but by the time I get those fins back in place for the next kick, I'm pushed forward a bit....very frustrating.
More reason to get Jet Fins.

Oh well...practice, practice and more practice:)

Oh BTW...will practicing with Blades screw up working with the Jet Fins in the future? (as in teach me bad habits)

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom