Oceanic Geo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBZ

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone, I am very interested in getting a dive computer to wear on my wrist as a fail safe for my primary computer, and also, I just like the gadgets!

I have an Oceanic Veo 250 as my main PDC, and I really like Oceanic's software and menus and such, and have had great luck with their equipment so far.

I'm interested in a Geo dive watch, but I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews or information about them aside from Oceanic's website. I have no desire to do tech diving, I'm all rec, and the price of the device I'd like to get needs to be around 450$.

Is the Geo going to be the best available option?

Someone told me to just buy another Veo 250 module and a hockey puck wrist dealie, but I kind of like the fact that the Geo can also be an out-of-water accessory as well, and also track and record dives. I just can't see myself running around the grocery store wearing the 250 module.

How do the Geo's compare to the Aqualand watches as far as performance/usefulness?

Hopefully I will get a chance to check out one of the Aqualands tomorrow, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

I, too, am very interested in a Geo and I spent some time in the Oceanic booth at the recent NW Dive Expo checking them out. I had already studied the technical specs on their Web site and the show gave me a chance to actually strap one to my wrist. After reading the comments above about the software, I'm definitely going to own a Geo although I think I've decided against the colored ones in favor of the classy looking "titanium" color. FYI, ScubaToys now lists them for $349. AllThingsScuba.com has the blue model (only) for $299.

The cheaper version is probably the old style. The recently changed the look of where the color is around the outside. I don't believe there was any change in functionality.

I wear a Geo as a backup to the Datamask. The Geo is also my watch on dive vacations. I've had a great experience with it so far, but admittedly have only been on 12 or so dives with this setup. I really like being able to change the time zone, without changing the main time on the watch function.

I have an Aqualand and analog guages as well, but I much prefer using the Geo backup computer. Most Aqualands (except the Cyber Aqualand NX) are merely watches and not computers, so if your main computer craps out in the middle of an extended dive vacation you have a bit of an issue. For the price of an Aqualand watch, it was a better deal for me when I bought the Geo, which is both a watch and a computer. That way if your primary computer craps out, your backup computer, which has been riding along, can take over.

I personally use the atom Air integrated wristwatch. I agree that Oceanic's software and computers are a great choice.
I have four of the Geos here at my shop. They are very popular especially with the new colors. I will match prices according to the model you are interested in. I have one of the "old" Blue/Black models, and 3 of the newer colored models, Lime, Blue/White, and Yellow/Black.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom