Is it possible to do Raja Ampat on a budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in Bangkok, so the flights won't be so bad. The problem is that I am on a Thai salary so I need to keep diving expenses as low as possible. But I want to dive Raja Ampat, and also Palau at some time in the next year or so.

Any advice on keeping it cheap?

I don't really care too much about accommodations, just good diving. Hopefully 3-4 dives a day.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Jon

This website has a number of traditional boats that are more affordable than the first class, gold plate liveaboards. Robin also has connections to some other boats not shown on the site that may or may not be cheaper yet. Bear in mind, on some of those boats your trip might be closer to camping than a cruise, but the diving is all the same.

Songline Cruises of Indonesia: Yacht Charters - Pinisi Cruising - Dive Liveaboards - Adventure Sailing

E-mail Robin and tell him exactly what you're looking for. E-mail at ...

info@songlinecruises.com

If you don't get a response, alternate e-mail is ...

songnyc@hotmail.com

Thanks for that valuable info. I was still hoping that there would be boats charging $150usd or less per night...maybe just not possible. I've dove some nice boats in Thailand for around $120/night. Guess I'll have to save up a bit.

Thanks again highdesert!

As I said, an e-mail inquiry might very well get you some info on a boat with a better rate ...

I will email them straight away. Thanks again for the contact info.

It seems that outfits cheapest boat is still over $200USD /day. In Thailand I can go out for less than half of that on a nice boat. Surely there must be something out there that is in the $75-$125 range. Any other ideas?

Poordiver

I am no travel professional, and November will be our first trip to Raja Ampat, but I can make a few guesses ...

- First, Raja Ampat is in very high demand right now. It's the hot destination for Indo-Pacific divers. Most boats are booked a year out. So you are probably paying a "supply and demand" premium to book a space to dive there.

- While more and more boats are including Raja Ampat in their schedules, there are not a lot of boats there now. Again, supply and demand.

- RA is a long way from nowhere. Fuel and freight costs to supply a boat are probably astronomical, by local standards.

I know that you can find a local boat in the Komodo area for $150 a day, and also North Sulawesi, but they're both quite close to major freight and fuel distribution points (Denpasar and Manado) and in areas with more liveaboard choices. But as far as Raja Ampat, I have no clue if you'll find a cheaper boat (though I'd love to know myself!)

Last edited:
If you're not in a hurry you could save a few Rupiah by taking a ferry from North Sulawesi to Sorong rather than flying.
This way you would only need to fly to Manado and you could include a few days diving there either in Lembeh Straits or around Bunaken.
The money saved on the flights to Sorong could be spend towards your divetrip in RA.

Me too.. i just want to diving . why acoomodation fee is expensive , if there is poor cottage in any place near the diving shop i will use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom