BP/W questions from the green one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SergeK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a very new to diving, only 12 dives. However, since the dive one I feel uncomfortable with "conventional" BCD. The main reason I think is I have to put enormous weight on my belt (11 weights). This is with 5 mm wetsuit.

So I have decided to go BP/W way. I already purchased SS BP + STA and hog harness from hammerhead. I have heard that hammerhead BPs have kind of sharp unprocessed edges. Anyone tried to cut these sharp edges? If so how do you do it?

Another concern is the hog harness which looks like difficult to deal with on the ground. Anyone had trouble donning/doffing? Is it possible to put the buckle on shoulder if I have this kind of problem?

About the wing: it seems that people here prefer OxyCheq Mach V Signature or DSS wing. Any preference one over another? Where to buy?

I also need a couple of cam bands. Same question: which ones and where to buy?

And what else do I need to complete setup? May be extra weight pockets or something like that? And if anyone can explain how do you place these weights on the backplate, i.e. where exactly and how to attach them.

I am obviously a recreational diver. Other comments about this kind of setup are welcome. Thank you for help.

The main reason I think is I have to put enormous weight on my belt (11 weights). This is with 5 mm wetsuit.
Assuming those are 5lb weights, that seems like a lot. With two layers of 7mm wetsuit, I still only need 32, and when I started (and had terrible technique) 42 was still plenty. Are they 5 lb weights?
Anyone tried to cut these sharp edges? If so how do you do it?
Yes, you should be able to finish the edges fairly quickly with a small metal file.
Another concern is the hog harness which looks like difficult to deal with on the ground. Anyone had trouble donning/doffing? Is it possible to put the buckle on shoulder if I have this kind of problem?
It takes a little practice, but I haven't had any particular problems. If you do, it's definately possible to put a buckle on the harness. My only concern in doing so is that it might interfere with the placement on a D-ring or backup light.
About the wing: it seems that people here prefer OxyCheq Mach V Signature or DSS wing. Any preference one over another? Where to buy?
I'm a big OxyCheq fan, and I'd recommend buying at scubatoys so you can get the 10% discount on their already low prices. Free shipping too.

The DSS wing is good, but from what I've seen, it's best with a DSS plate.
I also need a couple of cam bands. Same question: which ones and where to buy?
Stainless stell buckles will last forever, and they're also available at scubatoys.
And what else do I need to complete setup? May be extra weight pockets or something like that? And if anyone can explain how do you place these weights on the backplate, i.e. where exactly and how to attach them.
I don't use any weight pockets on mine, and wouldn't want to. In my opinion, they'd just be in the way. I wear a weightbelt if I need extra weight. Why clutter up a nice streamlined harness?

The only other items I'd consider other than a plate, harness, and wing (assuming you have d-rings, buckles, etc.) would be a crotch strap, single tank adapter (STA), and some DSS delrin thumbwheels.

Your weight needs will probably drop as you become more comfortable in the water. Get a couple velcro weight pockets and do bouancy checks near the ends of your dives. The Aloha Shore divers site has a good section on how to do buoyancy and trim checks.

As far as the unprocessed edges go the hardware store and get an abrasive tape from the plumbing section (this is used to prepare copper pipe for soldering). You feed the ribbon through the slots in the BP and smooth them out. Should take less than an hour.

The harness is not really hard to get into and out of. Do not put in any quick releases until you have given it 10 dives or so. You will probably find you do not need them.

Here a good link that shows you what you need to set the BP up: Webbing a Harness

You can get cambands from any of the large online retailers LeisurePro, ScubaToys etc. or probably from your local store.

Good luck.

A.

You don't really need pockets on the cam bands to add weight. You can thread (hard) weights directly onto the bands. Just wear enough on your weight belt for ditching in a surface emergency and put the rest on the cam bands. No need to attach directly to the plate. It's easy to do and it's free. A single tank adapter is a possibility also. It will add a couple more non-ditchable lbs. to your rig.

I have SS Dive Rite cam type bands and SS Scubapro type. They both work well. The Dive Rite type are heavier which is good if you aren't flying. The Scubapro are a little lighter for traveling. They are both better than the plastic kind.

I have Oxycheq wings. 18lb. and 30 lb. They both rock.

Im just going to throw this out there, why the hell are cam bands so expensive? its just rope and a crappy buckle when you really get down to it. I need someone to explain to me how rope is more expensive than making a freakin camera or cell phone. Sorry for the vent

Im just going to throw this out there, why the hell are cam bands so expensive? its just rope and a crappy buckle when you really get down to it. I need someone to explain to me how rope is more expensive than making a freakin camera or cell phone. Sorry for the vent

What do you consider expensive? We sell cambands for $18 each.

A camband requires the buckle, a length of 2" resing reinforced webbing, a section of hook velcro and a section of loop velcro.

All of the webbing and velcro has to be sourced and cut to length. The resin reinforced webbing is cut with a special hot knife and the ends are chamfered.

The webbing at the buckle should be snuggly wrapped around the wire hoop of the buckle, at a specific distance from the end of the webbing. This actually harder than it looks to do. I actually built a special machine to "form" the stiff resin reinforced webbing so it will stay "bent" and allow the buckle to be sewn on.

Now you have to sewn on the buckle, and the two pieces of webbing. You don't do this with Mom's sewing Machine. The velcro is sewn down with a commercial double needle sewing machine and the buckle is sewn in place with another huge brutal sewing machine. Sewing through two layers of resin reinforced webbing requires sewing machines that start at about $4000.

Other than that there's nothing to it. :wink:

Tobin

Im just saying in comparison to other stuff in general. I can buy a hand held tv online for the same price as a set of ropes needed to hold a tank to my back. Seems kinda rediculous in my opinion. Its an evil conspiracy to bump up the price a few dollars at the end of the transaction. you are all in on it, hehe =)

Im just saying in comparison to other stuff in general. I can buy a hand held tv online for the same price as a set of ropes needed to hold a tank to my back. Seems kinda rediculous in my opinion. Its an evil conspiracy to bump up the price a few dollars at the end of the transaction. you are all in on it, hehe =)

The issue is mostly volume and automation. Consumer electronics are produced with high levels of automation made possible by the large numbers that are produced.

Scuba gear largely low volume, labor intensive.

I do understand, I'm amazed when I buy electronics for less than I know it would cost me to get the box in came in produced here in the states.

Tobin

OK, I have to admit my ignorance on an acronym used here: what does "BP/W" stand for? I have some ideas but am not sure.

PS--Backplate/weightbelt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom