Friend just got a boat.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danemeyer20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
......and im curious as to how your tether your boat when arriving at a reef. I have never had to deal with this situation because i have always been on charter boats and never paid attention/asked questions. Since some reefs have bouys or morring lines already attached are you allowed to rope off to any one available or do specific boats have their own bouys? Common sense tells me you dont drop anchor but i could be wrong. I live in the tri-county and will be making trips to the keys often. Are the rules or boating ?etiquitte the same all over the state? thank you

Theres a few ways you could do this.
First, is when you find a reef, look for some sand in immediate area, anchor in the sand and let the current carry you over the reef. This is what is commonly done in the Keys.
Option 2
leave some one you trust with the boat and can operate it and dont anchor drift over the reef and have the person in the boat stay near you.(In this insatnce I would take a flag with me so that other baoters will see what they are about to hit.)

As far as reef bouys, they are generally communal.

is it the same with wrecks? just rope off to any line available. Im just trying to make sure i dont step on any toes. any other info i need would be appreciated

The mooring buoys in the Keys are public, first come first serve.

But based on your comments and general lack of understanding related to seamanship; you may want to rethink your strategy for awhile.

It may be better to go out a bit more with a commercial operator and pay attention to how they tie in. Also you should look at the appropriate marine sanctuary site regarding diver safety (speed and caution around divers down etc.).

Also getting to know how to handle the boat before trying to operate in a congested location is a good idea.

In general leaving the boat unattended is not the preferred concept (not that I can say I have never done it), but it does present some risks.

IMHO.

is it the same with wrecks? just rope off to any line available. Im just trying to make sure i dont step on any toes. any other info i need would be appreciated

Kidsdream is right on the ball on this. I'd like to second the importance of safe and knowledgable boating, for the enjoyment of divers and protection of the reefs. In my area we have a constant flow of tourists and boat rentals, and I shudder to recall the other weekend when we had multiple boats cruising through a shallow area frequented by beach divers; 5 or 6 flags in the water didn't seem to matter. (And what are those pencil bouys for anyways?)

If I could make an additional suggestion to look into a local power squadron course, or other motor boating class, as they are usually good about teaching the rules of the road, and many other helpful tips and techniques.

Oh yeah, and it makes it more fun for everyone!

Here is a little tip for you, if you use the mooring balls to tie up on the reefs use TWO ropes independent of each other. Tie one just as usual and then do another with a tiny bit more slack just in case the main line fails. I so this EVERY time I tie to a mooring ball even if leaving someone on the boat. And yes, the mooring balls are for the public as well as charter boats in the Keys. If you do decide to drop anchor you should back up well away from the site itself and LOOK CAREFULLY for bubbles first!! An anchor on the head would sure mess up someone's day! Make sure you dont anchor on any part of the reef, sand pockets only is the way to go for that.

I second taking a Power Squadron or USCG safe boating course. They will also show you which kind of knots to use when tying up to the ball so that you don't come back up & find that your boat is gone.

I actually used to live in Long Key and have had a boating liscense since i was 14. I know what im doing out there in regards to safety and not being an idiot but was curious about additional info i would need for the transition into diving. If i can dodge sandbars and a billion lobster traps in the pitch black I think i will be ok staying away from divers. Not to toot my own horn at all or anything like that :dork2: Just wish my dad wouldnt not have sold our boat and moved me to Broward before i got into diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom