Gloucester dive flag law ... current status?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anyone know the current status of the Gloucester dive flag law? I haven't seen much discussion of late, but I know there was a high amount of debate towards the end of last season.

Dave Stillman gave me a copy of the law as written, but I'm more interested in what's being enforced. Anyone in the know?

Thanks!

Eileen

Last time I spoke with the Harbor-master was last October, he had just posted signs at Lanes Cove and Plum Cove. He said he would be enforcing the law from that point on. I have not heard of one instance yet of enforcement. Interestingly, I do not believe there is any posting at Stage Fort Park. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to get a group together soon and test the waters at Lane's. I'd be willing to take a fine, just to see if this is all a bluff.

Al

Given the looming budget cuts in Gloucester I would think any source of revenue would be looked at and there will probably be pressure to enforce the flag law.

The law on the books reads:

*every diver has to have his/her own flag
*if you are lobstering you need to tow two flags, one in each hand
*if you are heading to Rockport to go diving, when you drive through Gloucester you must display a flag on your vehicle, one for the driver and one for each passenger
*if you are dining out in Gloucester and talking about diving then you need to bring a flag to the restaurant (most restaurants will rent you a flag for your meal but the Causeway Restaurant on 133 is B.Y.O.F.)
*if you are hanging out in a dive bar then you need a flag
*if you are listening to Van Halen's "Diver Down" album then you need a flag
*reading this thread requires you to display a flag (I got mine!)

other than that its pretty lax.

*if you are listening to Van Halen's "Diver Down" album then you need a flag

other than that its pretty lax.

Correction, if you are listening to it on the original 1982 vinyl, a flag is not required as the album jacket is in fact a flag and will suffice. If you don't know what vinyl is, you need a flag.

You guys crack me up. And how great it is that we can still laugh about something so absurd.

Al, I'll be interested in that report ... especially one from Lanes Cove.

Eileen

The Bay State council has an attorney on retainer and needs a diver to be fined or arrested so the can have this absurd dangerous law tossed out. Please be respectful to the officer we don't need a disrespectful diver in court making all divers look bad.

I'd like to get a group together soon and test the waters at Lane's. I'd be willing to take a fine, just to see if this is all a bluff.

Al

If they aren't bluffing, everyone should fight their fine seperately. They'd end up spending far more in overtime for the Harbormasters to go to court for each case than they would ever collect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom