Crown of Thorns Wound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hanna_banana

Reaction score
I don't know if this should be at the PPD subforum......

How does one deal with being wounded by crown of thorns? I recently heard that if left untreated it can lead to gangrene and ultimately amputation. I have never heard of this before until someone mentioned that he knows 2 locals who have had their fingers cut off because of an untreated COT wound. Scary.....

So is it true that COT wounds are fatal? How does one deal with COT wounds to prevent amputation?

I would like to correct my friend if it is not true that COTs can lead to amputation.

The first aid in the treatment of COT sting is the same for any barb type sting, so I would think that unless left untreated and a staph or strep infection started then you would be no more likely to have a limb amputated than any other sting. Hope this helps.

First Aid for
CROWN-OF-THORN SEASTAR (STARFISH) PUNCTURES:

Remove any obvious broken spines protruding from the wound. Unless a victim is allergic, these wounds are not a medical emergency and can be treated at home. Soaking the wound in hot water for pain control is unproven. Some authors believe soaking the sting in hot, nonscalding water for 30 to 90 minutes may reduce pain caused by this venom. Others feel heat application has no benefit in crown-of-thorns injuries, and should not be used. Follow First Aid in Staph, Strep and General Wound Care. Infections from these wounds are rare. If you cannot remove broken spines, or develop hives, breathing difficulty, numbness or weakness, go to an emergency room. These symptoms usually disappear after spines are removed.

IngentaConnect Case of skin injuries due to stings by crown-of-thorns starfish (...

Wilderness: Starfish, Crown of thorns, and Sea Star Punctures

Hehehe - on the upside, you have to work really hard at being dumb to get nailed by one of these :D
i resent (or is that resemble?) that comment.. :D

I've never been stung by a COT but I have to admit that there may have been other stings, so you're not alone Mike...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom