What is a "DIR" Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically, a single peice of webbing with no quick releases on the shoulders.
From GUE's website:
"A diver's harness should be rigged from one piece of webbing and should have no quick-release buckles or other failure points. "

A dive buddy recommends to stay away from this style. What style is this? Thanks!

Here's a link https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=instructions

Here's a link of how to make the basic adjustments

Equipment Images

Hogarthian Harnesses are not difficult, but they are different from jacket BC's. It takes a little time to adjust a Hogarthian Harness, and a little practice Donning and Doffing, but it is time well spent.

If you anticipate GUE / DIR Training you will be required to use a Hogarthian Harness.

A properly adjusted Hogarthian Harness is comfortable, and straightforward to use.

Tobin

Did your buddy say why?

Oooo, I can't wait to see how this thread goes :popcorn:

Although IMHO, your buddy probably doesn't understand it or has never tried it because I don't see why he would be advising you to stay away from it.

If you anticipate GUE / DIR Training you will be required to use a Hogarthian Harness.

A properly adjusted Hogarthian Harness is comfortable, and straightforward to use.

Tobin

So, "DIR" is a Hogarthian? Basically - 1 piece harness?

Did your buddy say why?
No, he didn't but he's dove many jackets and BP/W's

[/QUOTE]Although IMHO, your buddy probably doesn't understand it or has never tried it because I don't see why he would be advising you to stay away from it.[/QUOTE]

Well, he's a dry-suit guy with 1,000+ dives and has burned through more BP/W setups than I'll ever own. Although, he did say his is a 1-piece harness:confused: Is that Hogarthian, DIR??? or maybe he mispoke.

I'd get a new dive buddy were I you.

:eyebrow:

He's a group member who, as I mentioned, has well over 1,000 dives in many configurations. Maybe he used the wrong term, I don't know. Still trying to figure out exactly what "DIR" is.

So, "DIR" is a Hogarthian? Basically - 1 piece harness?

The "DIR" configuration is a subset of "Hogarthian". A DIR "configuration" involves a lot more than just the harness BTW.

The links provided already should be enough to get you started.

Well, he's a dry-suit guy with 1,000+ dives and has burned through more BP/W setups than I'll ever own. Although, he did say his is a 1-piece harness:confused: Is that Hogarthian, DIR??? or maybe he mispoke.

It's entirely possible that your buddy is using a harness that is either compliant or close to it, no way of telling without seeing it. OTOH he might have a "one piece" with non compliant pieces like chest straps, pads, waist pockets, extra drings etc.

I suspect that his "Avoid DIR" comments may have little nothing to do with a particular harness. Do a little research an you will find that (unfortunately) there exists considerable animosity (deserved and undeserved) between "DIR" divers and Non Dir Divers.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom