Anthony's Key Resort, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm very, very excited. Leaving on the 22nd with my LDS for Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan. I've not been there before. Can anyone give personal insights, tips, etc. Will it be possible to get wreck certification? How's the shore diving there? Thanks ahead for any tips. Mike

Never been there but have heard great reports from friends they all say the same thing "Take lots of bug spray" Have fun

Cherry

They have two captive wrecks near AKR-the El Aguillar and the Odessy--both of which were sunk as reefs for divers. The Odessy is a 300 to 400 bulk freighter put down so recently that it has no growth and would be a good wreck training site.

El Aguillar is a cooler wreck but was broken up so well by Mitch that I doubt that they penetrate it. Watch the gregarious eel--he'll come out to play but attacks cameras and he WILL bite (I shot a sequence of him attacking the house videographer--bizzare.)

AKR has instructors and aggressively keeps outsiders from teaching, so they should be able to teach the course, although when I was there in December I was dismayed by the youth and inexperience of some instructors, and your only option is PADI.

Overall, the diving is about as good as Grace Bay in Provo although not quite as good as Utila but you'll be pampered. For bugs I'd suggest going to REI and getting tubes of 33% Deet. Near the mangrove swamps of Utila two weeks ago it worked better that 100% Deet-- no idea why. In Honduras, 'skin-so-soft' and organic 'cactus juice' repellants are usless and you can't fly airosols. And you might want to pick up a bottle of something at the Duty Free in San Pedro Sula on the way out.

Have fun! Wish I was going with you.

Thanks Cherry and DivePartner1. Good to know about the bugs and the instructors. I'm going with a very experienced instructor who said we could do the wreck dive cert, so I hope they let us. I'm really getting excited. Thanks again.

Paco-Im leaving sat for COCO view resort on Roatan and will post a report when I return!:)

Great, thanks Drewpy

Paco once bubbled...
I'm going with a very experienced instructor who said we could do the wreck dive cert, so I hope they let us. I'm really getting excited. Thanks again.

When I was discussing AKR with a group I dive with, the owner of the dive shop said he'd never go there again due to "differences" with the owner. This is usually code for 'he wouldn't let me teach the class I brought down.' I didn't notice the usual gaggle of dive classes while I was there, either.

I don't know if you're instructor feels like touching bases with them, but you be prepared for the possibility that they may insist on supervising--and be paid for--the dives. If thats the case, I stick with the local instructors rather than the expat Americans and Canadians.

Good advice. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom