Appropriate age and training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redseal

Contributor
Reaction score
My 13yo daughters and I have been diving for about a year now. The older of the twins has about 2 dozen dives under her belt, with her AOW completed. She's planning junior rescue, nav and photography this year, in between just diving for fun.

We have thought about taking a cavern diving course together (we have NO interest in cave diving), but want to have some input into whether it's too soon for us to consider this type of diving, and what other thoughts and suggestions more experienced divers might have for us. We are thinking about the cavern course in preparation for a trip to Belize.

How much time should we expect to spend in a cavern course? Who teaches a good course? Where's a good place to go for the training (we live in PA)?

Thanks for your input, in advance.

A cavern class consists of 4 or 5 dives and lecture. My son did an NACD course at 16 but he had hundreds of dives when he did it. I'm not sure what the age requirements fo the NACD and NSS-CDS are but I can teach the PADI cavern class and the minumum age is 18.

One only coution I would extend is that cavern diving is cave diving with penetration limits, depth limits and a daylight requirement. A large percentage of the skills required for cave diving are also required for cavern diving. The point is that going into a cavern is going into a cave with many of the same potential risks.

It also seems that cave/cavern diving is becomming big business like other forms of diving. Maybe it's because I have been paying attention more since I started cave diving but it seems to me that there has been a real explosion of divers taking up cave/cavern diving. I don't have any nmbers to back up that impression but that's the way it seems even from the number of people here on the board who have anounced that they are taking cave/cavern training lately. I don't know if this is good or bad but there is the chance that cave training will go the way of recreational training in that we may start to see instructors with less and less experience. I have had a couple of divers anounce to me lately that they wish to become a cave instructor. Niether of these divers has any teaching experience and one has less cave experience and less diving experince in general than I do and I don't want to teach cave for a long time yet. I think we'll see more of it. I would advise you to shop carefully for an instructor.

Thanks for your thoughts, Mike. In the time that I've been participating on this Scubaboard I've come to respect your opinions (mostly!) and thoughts as being "real world" and "safety conscious." My daughter and I have really NO INTEREST in cave diving, but it was my idea that learning some of the cavern diving skills would help us both improve our overall attitude in the water column, i.e. bouyancy, finning technique, buddy work, etc. as well as give us the opportunity to get a bit of overhead training with an easier out.

How would you evaluate a cavern instructor? Do you know any in the central PA region, or would we have to travel to FL? Even though she's 13, and couldn't be "certified" as a cavern diver, wouldn't the experience be more important than the card?

Please respond. and thanks again!

Chuck

Here are the requirments for cavern diver straight from the NSS-CDS web site. There is no age limit written down but I also noticed there was for the Intro to Cave and that was 16. So your daughter is more then likely old enough but is she ready?

I have never taken a course from this lady but hear she is an excellent teacher and also has a high failure rate. (which is a good thing) her name is Rose Meadows, she teaches out of Ginnie Springs. (386)454-7188 http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/
Hope this helps. This is the NSS-CDS web site for further info. http://www.cavediver.org/training.htm

Training
NSS/CDS CAVERN DIVER TRAINING
COURSE REQUIREMENTS
(Abbreviated)
I. PURPOSE:
The course develops the minimum skills and knowledge for cavern diving, and describes the dangers involved with cave diving. Planning, environment, procedures, techniques, problem solving, and other specialized needs of cavern diving are covered.
Problem solving in cavern diving include, but are not limited to: body positioning (trim), buoyancy control, emergency procedures, line following, and propulsion techniques. Accident analysis forms the basis of this learning experience. Special emphasis of the unique environment include silting, entanglement, disorientation, and equipment modifications. Cavern diving is in no way intended to provide instruction for cave diving.

II. COURSE DURATION:

Approximately two (2) days
III. PREREQUISITE:

Basic scuba diver certification (advanced diver training recommended) or the equivalent
IV. RECOMMENDED TEXT:

NSS Cavern Diving Manual
V. LECTURE:

At least seven (7) hours covering these topics: NSS policy for cavern diving, environment, accident analysis, psychological considerations, equipment, body control, techniques, and accident prevention procedures.
VI. LAND DRILLS:

1. Guide line use
2. Following line with no visibility
3. Sharing air
4. Emergency procedures

VII. CAVERN DIVES:

Three (3) cavern dives to be conducted in two (2) different caverns and to include:
1. S-drill (Share air and equipment check to begin every dive)

2. Demonstrate buoyancy compensator use and body positioning via weighting and distribution

3. Demonstrate specialized propulsion techniques

4 Guideline use

5. Reel use

6. Explore cavern

VIII. UNITS:

1. Daylight and free ascent zone of cavern
2. 130 (ft.) linear distance from surface

3. Maximum depth not to exceed 70 ft.

4. Tank (50.0 cf minimum)

5. Single hose regulator with submersible pressure gauge, octopus second stage, and power inflator for buoyancy compensator

6. Exposure suit (wet or dry)

7. Buoyancy compensator

8. Submersible repetitive dive tables

9. Slate and pencil

10. Weight (as required)

11. Two (2) battery powered submersible lights

12. Knife (recommended arm or chest mounted)

13. Also, one (1) per team: Watch, depth gauge, reel

redseal once bubbled...

How would you evaluate a cavern instructor? Do you know any in the central PA region, or would we have to travel to FL? Even though she's 13, and couldn't be "certified" as a cavern diver, wouldn't the experience be more important than the card?

Please respond. and thanks again!

Chuck

I wasn't really trying to tell you that she is to yung. Wether or not she is ready is, of course, between you two and the instructor. You will most likely need to go to Florida. There are few other places that have suitable sites for a cavern class (in this country). As far as evaluating an instructor the best I can recommend is to talk with the instructor and get a feel for his/her experience. I also think it's a good idea to talk to former students. IMO, it's important to get an instructor who dives alot outside of teaching. I do agree that cavern/cave training is some of the best training you can get.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom