Problem with Suunto PC Interface Cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterFox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've got a brand new Suunto Cobra computer and I put 5 dives on it. I've got a data transfer cable with a serial connector. My laptop does not have a serial port so I purchased a Prolific serial->USB adaptor.

I've got all the drivers installed, suunto dive manager installed, my dive computer is in the TR - PC mode, have verified the contacts are making a good connection.

The dive manager download wizard allows me to select the correct com port but when I hit next it times out trying to find my dive computer. It's attempting for about 20 seconds before it times out and a little window pops up that said it couldn't find my dive computer.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers and dive manager, tried using old version 1.6 of dive manager, cleaning the contacts on the Cobra, try to download without the wizard (right click in the window and select connect > cobra), but all to no avail.

I've searched this forum for older threads about this problem and have tried some of the tips, but nothing seems to be doing the trick. These threads were from a few years back and I just wondered if anyone found anything that will do the trick since then.

Thanks.

I usually have to try 3 or 4 times to get the connection to work; the physical link design is really lousy (the lack of USB being just one point) and even when you think it's resting on the download cable correctly, it's not. Try squeezing the Cobra and the connector together pretty tightly and them hold them while you have the software try to find the computer.

I've yet to be impressed by Suunto's set up for downloading, plus the fact that the software only works for Windows.

The RS 232 -> USB conversion is not a trivial one. Not all adapters are created equally. For PC users I'd recommend getting a PCI card with a RS 232 port. Which is something I will have to do myself shortly since my PC doesnt have an RS 232 port. Unfortuneately laptops dont have that option. Have you tried to check the cable and your divecomputer on a PC that does have an RS 232 port? Just to rule out any problems on your dive computers end?

Have you tried to check the cable and your divecomputer on a PC that does have an RS 232 port? Just to rule out any problems on your dive computers end?

Actually trying that was going to be my next course of action. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had a very simmilar problem with my Sunnto Viper downloading. I bought a USB download cable on eBay and I couldn't get it to work with the sunnto drivers. I then noticed that the cable was NOT sunnto. I installed the drivers for the cable and it has worked perfectly. Look on the part that connects to your dive computer and check the manufacturer. Google whatever manufacturer you find and install their driver.

I found the problem was that Sunnto's USB conversion driver didn't work.

yep i got the vyper it is a pain got to get it just right.

The official Suunto USB interface is simply a USB > serial conversion circuit on top of the normal serial wiring.

Fixed the problem. Turns out it was a crappy Serial -> USB adaptor. Exchanged the adaptor for a better one and it now works perfectly every time. That was a pain to get that working, but glad the problem is fixed now.

Prolific is a bad choice, but unfortunately it's rarely written which chip is used.
Try to find a USB to Serial FTDI cable, as I'am using one regurlarly for my Suunto and some other devices

I just bought a USB cable for my Cobra2 from eBay My World - jonnywalker_de .
It was $54 with shipping (Germany->USA), and it arrived in 6 days. I installed the included drivers and did an upload from my Cobra2 to my Windows XP PC with the latest (2.6.0) Suunto Dive Manager software. So far, it's working fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom