Good women's BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Bit of a noob here. I might finally be able to afford some gear and I'm looking into BCs and not sure where to start.

I have a somewhat bizarre dive history; I'm halfway through my divemaster classes but I've still only had about 50 dives; yeah, pretty much as many as you need for the classes themselves :p Sadly my diving has been hindered by my severe lack of funds (grad student turned teacher = broke).

So all my diving thus far has been in crappy rental gear, which makes it hard to get comfortable with gear... try perfecting buoyancy when you're in a different drysuit and BC every week!

As is the case with rentals, I've only dove in men's stuff. And I'm wondering, does it make that much difference to have a women's BC? Sorry, but I hate back inflates...at my rate of diving I don't think I'll be diving doubles or tech diving anytime soon, although I do dive a drysuit. So I'm pretty much looking at jackets.

So just looking for any advice on women's gear (if it matters), or general advice for getting my first BC.

Do a search for "Bella". its a Female contoured BC by ScubaPro, my wife has the Bella and its REALLY awesome.

I have another post that should pop-up in the search with some differences between hers and mine (NightHawk male BC)

My wife has the Mares Kaila, it a very comfortable jacket bcd, she loves it. Where are you located, sounds like Europa.

Really depends on what makes you more comfortable with respects to back-inflated or jacket-style (inflates around the sides and back). I like back-inflated and am EXTREMELY happy with my ScubaPro Lady Hawk (30# lift capacity, back-inflate, shorter cut [better for a woman's smaller torso], not very constricting through the waist and chest area, etc.)

Best of luck in your search!

I have one question for all the poster, she request a jacket inflate BCD info, but everyone seems to be pushing a back inflate. Why is that?

Last edited:
.. Sorry, but I hate back inflates...at my rate of diving I don't think I'll be diving doubles or tech diving anytime soon, although I do dive a drysuit. So I'm pretty much looking at jackets.

So just looking for any advice on women's gear (if it matters), or general advice for getting my first BC.

My wife started with a Seaquest Diva LX. She liked it but did not like the squeeze feeling or that it tended to slip up on her when she was on the surface. She finally tried a APEKS WTX (WTX Harness) fitted with BC like weight pockets and a Venture wing. Since this is a soft BP harness system, it also has a crotch strap and now at the surface, the system does not ride up on her and it does not push her face down. She loves it.

We only dive recreationally, with dry suits and single tanks. One way or the other, I hope you find the BC you like!

I got an Oceanic Hera. It is a hybrid jacket, back inflate. You get the best of both worlds. The back inflate for horizonal stability in the water column & the jacket part for better stability on the surface. I found it to be very comfortable & adjustable. There is ample padding for comfort. I use it for both assisting with classes & for fun diving & have been very impressed with it.

I have a ScubaPro LadyHawk and love it. I dive dry as well as dive in warm water when I get the chance. I had a jacket type and found it just to claustraphobic with the dry suit. You may be having a problem with a back inflate type because you never had a BC that fit you properly. Having a womens BC should be more comfortable. Try to rent a few womens BCs both jacket and back inflate and dive with them, you might be surprised what you really like once you have the proper fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom