Onondaga Dive 5/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampico_ED

Contributor
Reaction score
Last Saturday...

Rio, CrabShellDude and Tampico_ED headed to Watch Hill, RI. For the maiden voyage of the Sharkbite. We missed the window for the dive for a few...strong current but overall decent vis on the Onondaga.

We all went our own way. We have dove the site a few times before - even at night. Confident of knowing the wreck I guided my video set up from the bow to the stern...it was after several minutes that I realized, not to being able to locate the mooring line (bow). The strong current did not allow for a quick swim out to search around.Without my reel or spool, Thankfully I was able to locate another old mooring line. I ended up at the other side of the boat, thanks to my dive buddies for picking me up.

Lesson learned be prepared to deploy your own ascending line even on 'easy' shallow dives . The other option free ascent on a two knots stream.

http://amazing-ocean.com/videos/RIWrecksOnondaga.wmv

We all went our own way. We have dove the site a few times before - even at night. Confident of knowing the wreck I guided my video set up from the bow to the stern...it was after several minutes that I realized, not to being able to locate the mooring line (bow).

We got lax in dive planning there, not to mention we should have stuck together. It is easy to get overconfident on a familiar shallow site like that.

If I'd been there with you to help you find your way back, or even if we'd just talked the dive plan over a bit better before the dive, we could have avoided all of the problems.

Reading your post I see how you managed to get disoriented. The mooring you came down on was on the stern right at the top of the rudder, not at the bow. The mooring wasn't where you thought it was.

Let that be a lesson to us all. Don't take the basics for granted.

Right on... we all learned some lessons here... plan the dive and dive the plan...and no more solo diving!

Turbellarian hydroids.

my video is still downloading. Any cool Nudi's to be seen? BTW, I just bought Gentile's RI and CT book, grea read so far. Of course I skipped right to the Heroine, Onondaga, Metis, Annapolis, etc. Am itching to get out on Shark Bait!

as always Ed, nice video!! Hydroids everywhere. Definitely looked like the current was moving pretty good, glad everything worked out. Too bad I missed out on the learning opportunity :(.

Is Sharkbite a private boat? or is there a new charter in town?

Back
Top Bottom