Backup Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gimewater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been looking around the different posts and talking to my local dive stores and have decided to pick up a new backup computer which would also act as my main travel computer. At the moment I have the cobra2 and love it. The reason I have decided to pick up another dive computer is the fact that I have heard from many different sources that the air integrated comps have a tendency to mess up when traveled with due to the pressures from the plane and other small problems having to do with pressure. I was interested in the D6 since it would not only act as a DC but also as a free dive comp and a watch all in one. Any other suggestions? Those who have D6s how do you like them? What would you change about it? If you don't like your D6 why not? If you don't like the D6 what would you suggest?

Thank you in advance for the replies

Last edited:
The suunto D6 is nice, the only problem I have is that the wristwatch computer display tends to be a bit on the smaller. Next to that is a very good computer. I am just not a big fan of using my computer as a watch either. Added chance of damage, but that is just me. It is a very good looking computer and will serve as a watch quit well.

I have a wireless AI computer and transmitter, and I fly everywhere with it, haven't had any problems with pressure. The computer and transmitter has also work flawlessly on my wife wireless A/I computer also. I guess the problem you are describing is more toward the hose A/I computers?

You should have no problems with AI computers flying unless you turn them on. Where did you hear about it, you said many sources?

There have been a few threads on this site as well as three dive stores in the South Bay, one store I hold in high regard told me about three customers who had the vytec and D9 and they are on their 3rd computer in two years. These customers traveled heavily and took their comps with them onto the plane instead of packing them into the bag.

I always carry mine on and have been on 5 planes with them since the beginning of the year, in the cabin. I could see with the D9, I have one too, if you were using it as a watch and pressed the wrong button but I also carry my AI Cobra and no issues. I wouldn't worry if they are packed in your carry on.

ok well lets look past the AI part then and just have peoples reviews and opinions on the D6. How do you like it? What would you change? If you don't like it, What is it you don't like? I like the idea that its so easy to carry around, acts as many different things, and like the fact that when traveling will always have it with me. If you don't Like it what would you suggest?

Actually, my wife is looking at one and I wanted to see the reviews as well...:D

I just use my D9 for diving but I know quite a few people who wear them as watches. I've always used Suunto and their "conservative" nature works fine for me. I would like a brighter back light and the display seems to be getting smaller as I get older...

Stupid question...What happens if the Computer turns on at Altitude?

I recently ordered my Geo, so I don't have it yet, but in the Manual for my Veo 250 it says that if it registers a certain altitude it performs a diagnostic check and shuts down.

Does that vary between brands?

Ok well a few days after putting this post up a buddy of mine went on a dive and when he was at 10ft his Cobra2 went berserk and read him at 499. I found it Kind of ironic that after putting this up it happened to him a few days after.

Back
Top Bottom