Old Scubapro BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gijo1977

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what kind of BC scubapro released that was blue, and had some form of air connection for a CO2 bottle or other emergency inflation device??

My mate has managed to pick one up in a trade deal and would like to find out more about it. I will try to get some photos, but I think it has only one pocket.

Any takers?? :)

?----- that could be any one of a several and define "old?" It would have to be 70s or early 80s to still have a CO2 cartridge. With that description and no pics, lol. N

I have one from the early 90's that sounds like the same kind of vest BC. It may be a Finseal BC. Basically a Classic Sport with only one pocket. Mine did not have the CO2 cartridge attached, but the valve was there, so I replaced the valve and covered it with a bolt cover that sealed fairly well. I use this BC when I dive in Virginia. Works very well.

If it is the one I am thinking about, I recall it from the early 1980s, now called the classic. We called it the "sea snake" because of its color, python fang tank bands, and boa constrictor inflation. It came in blue and orange. Look out for the metal "python fangs" when engaging the tank band. They have bit more than one unsuspecting diver. Also, as I recall, the inflation on the bc is inward; meaning that if the bc is deflated and cinched tight and you fill it fully (as on the surface) it will really constrict, hence the boa analogy. All kidding aside, it was a great bc for the time and introduced an entire generation of divers to the that new fangled bc called stab jacket.

It's the best BC made, IMO. It's still available in a slightly different look as the Classic Sport.

The Stab Jacket I always thought it felt as if I wearing a sack, maybe none of them ever fit me right or something. N

I slightly remember not ever having a CO2 cartrige loaded in the stab jacket. It seems that we called it the suicide lever or suicide valve or something like that. For the time it was a great BC but I liked my bouyancy control pack (BCP) much better than the stab jacket.

if they haven't yet, check that the thing still holds air. We had a SP jacket of probably similar vintage that sat around unused for a couple years, and when I checked it out it didn't anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom