Straight to Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VitaminJ

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK, I was certified PADI ~5yrs ago (in FL) and never dove again. I just got re-certified with my fiance (minus the OW dive which will be done in Croatia). Here's my dilema, my friends all dive dry and convinced me that I should also. Do you think that I am biting off more than I can swallow by making my first cold water dives in a dry suit?:confused: I will take the drysuit cert course before I go.

If you find a good mentor or take the class as you have suggested. A drysuit is a good piece of equipment and as long as you use it properly it will be safe.

I would rather be ready by doing some dives in a pool or with an instructor before your trip as not to add too many things at one time.

Many people get certified in drysuits.

I would say take the class and make a few open water dives if the class happens to be pool only.

Going straight to drysuit is more commonplace as you head up into Canada so it's not at all extraordinary.

A little training and practice at a conservative site is important though.

Pete

Also, one of the benefits is you will be able to dive in new england waters comfortably. Also you won't pick up any bad wetsuit habits...just good drysuit habits:)

Thanks all, I was starting to doubt my decision. The place i bought the suit offers the course for free with the purchase. I'll do the pool work and make a few easy dives before progressing.

Thanks again for the advise

My tenth dive was in a drysuit. Almost all dives after 10 have been dry :)

Good luck with your checkouts and new suit.

Whatever you plan on wearing for your openwater dives is what you should wear in the pool to figure out your weight requirements. Don't wear a shirt and shorts as undergarment in the pool and then when you get to Croatia have no clue as too how much weight you should wear with the thick undergarments.

I would also recommend going ahead with drysuit. It will be harder at first, but learning a more difficult way of diving first makes things easier later.

Just know the learning curve will be steeper going in.....and vow to stick with it.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom