Compumask, Farsightedness, and and Eye Dominance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headshot

Registered
Reaction score
I am a spearfisherman in Texas, and I often hunt in dark murky water. I usually use a wrist mounted console, but since I turned 40, my eyes don't focus as well on stuff that is close to my face. I can see bigger writing fine if it is farther away (arm's length), but my favorite watch-sized wristmounted computer's numbers are too small to be that far away, and I can't comfortably hold my arm like that anyway to see my watch. I recently lost my Suunto mosquito, and replaced it with a Manta. I also have a Suunto Viper, and a Diveright NiTek, and an old Oceanic puck. I can see some serious advantages of the compumask's bright close dislpay, but I also have some questions. I usually just use the watch and keep the NiTek in my bc pocket, unless i am doing something complicated, and need to switch gasses, in which case I use the NiTek on my wrist.

How will a readout that is 1 inch from my face affect my 40 year old eyes? I see how it could be easier because it will only bee seen in one eye, but I don't really understand the vision issue.

Also, if I can see the readout better since it is in only one eye, does it matter that I am left eye dominant...for example, I shoot off of my left shoulder? Does the information get to the correct part of my brain?

Also, can i switch it to guage mode (and use it for psi and depth only) and dive several gasses on my Nitek.

Thanks.

After looking into this a little more, I am also curious whether the current configuration would allow Aeris to add multi gas capability and higher percentages of O2. If not, when will Aeris put out a more capable (multi gas) model?

I have run across a handful of people that are unable to see the display clearly - and, I can usually spot them before they try the mask by the 3 inch thick glasses they're wearing. There are no guarantees in life, but I would be shocked if you were one of them - your 40 year old eyes are not going to be an issue. Why? Long story - and I would not just trust me on a $1500 purchase; try it.

The Navy did the majority of human factor studies that went into this project. The decision to position it on the right was to reduce eye strain for the majority (right eye dominant). It is a factor, but would not affect your use of it. Again, trying it for yourself is going to be much more valuable.

And to your gauge mode question - yes. It may be used in gauge mode, with or without cylinder pressure as well.

As for multi-mix and mixes greater than 50% - the capability to add it to the current hardware configuration (via firmware update) exists. I can make no guarantee as to if and when that will happen for certain.

Maybe you should talk to your eye doc. I just recently went to a different system with my aging eyes. I have one lens that focuses far, and another near. This may not seam like a good solution, however I found I can now see far and near with both eyes. Do not ask me why, because honestly, I don't understand it. :D

Headshot, I will be at Lake Travis May 24 and 25 and then with the Texas Swamp Divers on June 21 and 22 and CSSP. You are welcome to come try my Oceanic Datamask and see how it works for you. I know those locations might be a little far for you but if you have been wanting to dive them now might be a good chance.

Back
Top Bottom