BP/W with harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yyidus

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm mostly sold on switching to BP/W, but at least for now, I'm pretty sure I want a harness with shoulder detachment points and ditchable weights. (If I decide to go all-out DIR I can always get a cheap webbing and replace.. right?). It's really between a regular back-inflate BCD (Zeagle Ranger) or this.

But I'm having trouble figuring out which ones I should look at. Almost all the postings I've found with people querying about theses setups end up with 'just get a hog harness'... And that's not what I'm asking.

I was at an LDS today and they quoted me $752 for a deep outdoors freedom
with ditchable weights, 30lb bladder, and an STA. I think it sounds a high, but it's been so hard to compare. Additionally, I haven't managed to find ANY reviews/opinions about this system.

I'm also aware of the trans-plate from DiveRite -- again, no clue how good. And it looks like OMS makes a 'comfort harness' which I think is the same thing?. It looks like DSS and Halcyon and Oxycheq -- the oft-recommended manufacturers here, don't even think it's worth making what I want.

Any helpful opinions / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Visit this site, register, and visit the Special Deals page available only to registered members. You will find a great deal on a Dive Rite transpac, wing, crotch strap, and cam bands package.

I would highly recommend calling DSS and spending some quality time on the phone with Tobin. Not only will he explain why you need what you need, he'll give you an education that will last your diving career. Not to mention the best price going on a package of quality gear.

Can you tell I'm a highly satisfied customer?

Visit this site, register, and visit the Special Deals page available only to registered members. You will find a great deal on a Dive Rite transpac, wing, crotch strap, and cam bands package.

Is that a recommendation for the transpac or just the site's prices? (I appreciate the response either way.. but trying to clarify)

-- thanks

I would highly recommend calling DSS and spending some quality time on the phone with Tobin. Not only will he explain why you need what you need, he'll give you an education that will last your diving career. Not to mention the best price going on a package of quality gear.

Can you tell I'm a highly satisfied customer?

I've heard only good stuff about DSS, but unless I'm confused, they do not make harnesses that have ditchable weights or detachable shoulder straps?

Is that a recommendation for the transpac or just the site's prices? (I appreciate the response either way.. but trying to clarify)

-- thanks

Both. The transpac appears to be what you're looking for, and Dive Rite makes very good gear. And the prices there can't be beat.

It looks like DSS and Halcyon and Oxycheq -- the oft-recommended manufacturers here, don't even think it's worth making what I want.

If you mean those cumbersome harnesses, well, then I'd agree. As for weight pockets, I think they're unnecessary, but you can always add after-market ones (lots of companies make them).

Just rig your hanress Hog style and be done with it.

N

There's loads of weight pocket options you can add to a backplate if you're that way inclined.
I have a zeagle rig and they do good weight pockets (even though i ended up taking them off and using a weightbelt for trim). Backplate Options and Components Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer
If you're not comfortable with a single piece harness then don't let anyone talk you out of getting a 'deluxe' (broken) harness. It's what you're comfortable with, not what other people think you should have.

I believe DSS makes a harness with releases, or at least they used to; you are certainly welcome to talk to Tobin about it, or to buy any other sort of harness with releases that pleases you, but you should know that the vast majority of people who do so, get rid of that setup eventually and move to the simple webbing, because it works better.

Ditchable weights on a webbing harness can be accomplished in a variety of ways, ranging from the expensive Halcyon ACB pockets to the DUI weight & trim, to XS Scuba weight pockets on the waist band.

$725 for a full setup is a very high price for a BP/W singles rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom