Recommendations for first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to diving and was planning on buying my first BCD since I'm already tired of rental gear. So far the only 2 manufacturers that I'm familiar with are ScubaPro and Oceanic, and I was looking for some suggestions for BCD's from those or any other company.
I intend to stick with a single tank, I will be diving in warm and cold water so I need a BCD that can hold a fair amount of weight (I use 22 lbs in salt water with a 5mm wetsuit), I like being vertical when I'm at the surface and waiting to get back on the boat, and I'm looking for something with usable storage space.
I read on here that the back inflating BCD's can knock you face down into the water, while others said that happens with too much air and improper weighting. Which is accurate? Someone else stated that you sit lower in the water horizontally with that style also. Is using a snorkel still possible at the surface?
Is anyone familiar with the so-called "hybrid" BCD's that function as a back-inflate and somewhat of a jacket(Atmos LX)?
I was thinking about the ScubaPro Knighthawk, Oceanic Islander(not sure if it'll hold enough weight for me), Atmos LX, Seaquest Latitude, ScubaPro Glide Plus, or Zeagle Bridade. Any Feedback on any of these or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

as you have rented bcds in the past - what didnt you like about them is important when buying one for yourself also.

and for all the times ive heard about rear inflate pushing someone face forward into the water - im amazed they continue to sell so many... tells me its not 100% true :D

my 2cents, im a huge zeagle (rear wing) fan

goodluck

I am a not a fan of the black inflate, for the forward leaning reason, for me I am a bit top heavy, and it may be one of the reason I notice it more. I have tried them, for me to avoid the lean, I have to weight the tank a bit more then I would like normally I put 4lb as trim. I only use a total of 10-11lb in saltwater with a 3mm full. So putting half the weight I dive with out of ditchable reach was not something I liked. So the back inflate vs. jacket is a personal preference. I do like the way the back inflate work in the horizontals position, but the benefit was not enough to off set the lean or the dislike of putting more weights that I could not ditch on the tank. Again personal preference.

They sell more jackets worldwide then back inflates. As the casual rec diver tend to buy jacket more. I was thinking about getting the an aeris atoms lx, it is a really nice bc and the hybrid design is nice. I was also considering the mares dragon, the air bladder is design of better horizontal buoyancy, my wife loves the women's version of the dragon, so I know it works. But I decide that my BC is still in great sharp and did not really need to spend that money.

I used a scubapro glide plus when I cert, it was a nice jacket BC. It had all the bells and whistle you would want in a BC. Good luck with your choice. To bad we can not get the scubapro t-black that they sell in Europe, it is a really nice jacket bc.

I have a Zeagle Stiletto which is great. Dont have any issues with it leaning forward or backwards.

Between the two, I would recommend the back inflate. I started with a jacket and very quickly disliked the inflated pockets around my waist. Bought my family the back inflate against advice of "forward throw". Works very well for them; no problem on the surface. It keeps the front relatively clutter free. Then again, it's a personal choice. Try both and decide. Do note that the Islander may not hold 22 lbs. For the matter, with no intention to be rude but is 22 correct or a typo error? I have seen a big Russian wih 10kg (11 lbs) but 22?

I have an Oceanic Excurion BC I use for DMing classes. It's rear inflate, very streamlined, includes integrated weights, etc ,etc.

I've now dive exclusively rear inflate. The rumor of being pushed forward I think is a big falsehood. I've never really had a problem with it. Besides, I use a back inflate more for the properties underwater as opposed to floating at the surface...

If you really want to go rear inflate the Excursion a nice BC option, but for the same money or a little less you could go the backplate/wing route. This would allow you to interchange wings later on if your diving takes you to doubles. I have a Deep Sea Supply rig and really love it. Tobin is great to help talk you through what you need as well. Might give him a call. The number is listed on www.deepseasupply.com

**Disclaimer**
I'm not getting anything out of recommending Deep Sea Supply. I'm just really happy with my experience with Tobin and his products. I really try to promote business to those I've had great experiences with.

I was thinking about the ScubaPro Knighthawk, Oceanic Islander(not sure if it'll hold enough weight for me), Atmos LX, Seaquest Latitude, ScubaPro Glide Plus, or Zeagle Bridade. Any Feedback on any of these or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, love your handle, see you have a big ego!:rofl3: Welcome to the Board. My two cents worth. A similar but slightly better choice to the Knighthawk is the Aqualung Black Diamond. It is almost exactly the same price as the Knighthawk. If you can get afford the Black Diamond or the Knighthawk, get one. They will last you for a life time. Those are A1 BCs. From the rest of your list I recommend the Seaquest Latitude XLT Silver. That is an excellent BC and is considerably less expensive. If you get the XLT Silver make sure it has the
optional, lower right pull dump, p/n 42754, if you prefer head-first descents. (I like having a dump there anyway, habit picked up as a skydiver...)

To get a little more technical (I don't mean tekkie), the back inflate, etc argument is about whether an unconscious diver will find him or herself face down on the surface with the BC inflated and having removed his weight belts or integrated weights. As a diver with relatively low experience you should avoid those BCs. The Black Diamond and the Knighthawk will float you face up. The Seaquest will do it if you put the weights (counterweights) in the little pockets that go on the side of the tank. Hopefully you will never need your BC to be your life preserver, but why be face down in an emergency on the surface if you can avoid it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Between the two, I would recommend the back inflate. I started with a jacket and very quickly disliked the inflated pockets around my waist. Bought my family the back inflate against advice of "forward throw". Works very well for them; no problem on the surface. It keeps the front relatively clutter free. Then again, it's a personal choice. Try both and decide. Do note that the Islander may not hold 22 lbs. For the matter, with no intention to be rude but is 22 correct or a typo error? I have seen a big Russian wih 10kg (11 lbs) but 22?

That was my first time diving salt water and that's what they gave me. I think I might've been slightly overweighted. I do intend to dive in salt water with a 7mm, so I was just putting the numbers out there since I'll probably need something that can accomodate more weight.

Im no pro, but I love my Sherwood Avid BC....Ive used Back Inflated and I also felt it push my face forward. I have a lot of dive buddies who use back inflated BC's and they love it. They say as long as the weight and air is proportional it shouldn't push you forward. If I was to buy a new BC today I would go with a Jacket style.

Back
Top Bottom