Anyone ever purchased from these guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone ever purchased from these guys before?
Atlantic Scuba Supply

Yes, the name of their website is probably the biggest marketing blunder in the history of the world. Doesn't matter to me, actually. I'm about to drop a pretty good-sized dime with these guys, and apparently I can't pay by credit card... Which leaves me with little recourse in case I don't get what they promise.

I understand that they're a big supplier, and probably on the wholesale end. They've promised me a great price on a couple of things, but before I buy, I wanna know that the merchandise is really coming.

I might end up ordering two seperate times... First, a little less than half the order, then the other, larger half. That way, I'm only at risk for half my order.

'Course, I'll be paying for shipping twice, which is kinda pointless if my suspicions are unfounded.

Anyone purchase from them before? Anyone know anything about them?

can't you use a credit card? That website says they take credit cards via PayPal. Is it the "great deal" that you are getting the requires cash only ?

...Although that IS what I'm really worried about.

They aren't yet set up to take credit cards. (Truly, this is not a surprise to me... I own my own retail stores, and it's a pain in the neck.) I can pay via PayPal, though... And I own my own PayPal account as well.

...So what I can do is get the funds into my PayPal account and then send them to those guys.

The reason that I'm worried about that is because I'm not sure how PayPal will take care of me if I don't recieve the merchandise. The company LOOKS to be on the "up and up," but it's obvious they're new and foreign. It sorta smells like some of the "fly by night" electronics retailers (gray market) that you see in New York and Philly. They make me really nervous.

Lemme take a look at how PayPal works with that stuff... Perhaps I can transfer funds to my PayPal account using my Mastercard check debit card, pay a small percentage charge for it from PayPal, and have the opportunity to scream to the bank later if I don't get my merchandise.

I think I've gotten spoiled with credit card "buyer's protection plans" where, if you buy something online and don't get it, I can deny the charges.

Obviously, I have no interest in ripping this guy off... I have no interest in denying charges... But if I don't get my stuff, I'm gonna be upset...

And it's over $1000 I'm spending... But he's around $200 less than Leisurepro!

It's tempting, but I want some alternate plan if this guy's a crook.

Okay, so I went into my PayPal account to take a look at how it worked.

Looks like I misunderstood the features at PayPal... Apparently I can debit funds from any of my credit cards, including my Mastercard debit card (which comes directly from my checking account) instantly. This is great!

My plan, then, was to go ahead and play like I was going to send money to his account (the one he gave me was payment@ass.com.sg ) using my debit Mastercard. I knew it wouldn't go through, since I won't have $1000 in that account until tomorrow.

However, when it went to process, it did not say, "Card declined" like it should have... Instead, it said, "This customer (payment@ass.com.sg) has not yet set up an account with PayPal. We have sent him an email and will notify you when that person sets up an account with us."

Hm. Big business, eh? I'm his first customer? Hm. Doesn't make me want to drop $1000 my first time out, that's for sure...

Lemme give you an idea of what we're talking about here... Part of my purchase is a new Vytec hoseless, air-integrated wrist-mount computer. My local dive shop gave me a "minimum retail price of $1200 for it (!). They sell at Leisurepro (the known lowest price for equipment online, yet debatable because of their "clearance" style equipent) for $858 all day long. This guy gave me a price of $690. He says his supplier's in Singapore, but somehow can get this computer to my door in three days by FedEx for $20.

It would be really nice to find out that this guy's just brand new and a little green but really is giving me a great price on a great piece of equipment... But the whole deal smells really foul... I'm getting worried.

I might blow the extra $160 just for the peace of mind. Heh. Imagine that... I go to LEISUREPRO for "peace of mind." Lol...

I sent him an email about it... I said, "Hey Eric... " (The guy's been using his first name.) "Did you send me the right email address for PayPal?"

I haven't gotten a reply yet, but I can tell you that I went into PayPal again to check it out once more... I did the same thing as before, and I used the "copy/paste" feature to paste the address payment@ass.com.sg into the field (so I know for sure that I spelled it the same way both times.) Now PayPal is telling me that he is an "International Verified Business Member" that's had a PayPal account since August of 2002. (Six months.) PayPal's listed website is not http://www.ass.com.sg... It's another website, http://www.scubacorner.com.sg which is considerably nicer than the one I've been using.

Any theories? You think that the first website is maybe an employee who's stealing merchandise and selling it? No, that can't be it... If it was, then he would not have tied into the store's PayPal account, that's for sure.

Theories?

"Hi ,

Yes, our paypal account is payment@ass.com.sg . We constantly get pay to this email address without any problem. Maybe you try again.

Cheers,

Eric Yeo"

Hm. I'm tellin' ya, I used the "copy/paste" commands right off of his email. Both times. I didn't even RE-"copy/paste" the second time. I'm sure it got put in correctly both times.

Thoughts anyone?

It all sounds very fishy to me. I personally would not get involved. There is no way to tell if this guy is legit, or selling stuff out of the trunk of his car. No telling exactly what you might get anyway.

Sure it would be nice to save $200 bucks, but it sure would suck to lose $1000 instead...

SeaJay once bubbled...
Now PayPal is telling me that he is an "International Verified Business Member" that's had a PayPal account since August of 2002. (Six months.) PayPal's listed website is not http://www.ass.com.sg... It's another website, http://www.scubacorner.com.sg which is considerably nicer than the one I've been using.

SeaJay, edit your second link. You put a comma in it that doesnt belong. Also, that second link claims to be a PADI 5 start IDC. Should be able to check that out to see if its legit.

Call PADI, give them the name of the place and get a phone number. Use that number to contact them and see what the deal is.

Let us know what you find out.

you don't want to do is use a debit card. Use a CREDIT card and then the bank is stuck between you and the vendor (they gave their money to the vendor and are trying to get it from you) and you have some recourse and the bank has some interest in getting any problems worked out and you DEFINATELY don't pay unless you have the goods promissed. Use a debit card and the money is gone from your account. The bank could care less.

Dave D

I've had excellent luck with Leisure Pro & Dive Inn. Check them for online sales.

Dave D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom