Looking for my first wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I am looking for my very first wing and I have sort of narrows down my choices based on price, size, needs etc. I am looking for a single tank wing that can support some of the larger steel cylinders.

Right now I am down between:
Dive Rite Venture
Dive Rite Rec
OMS Single 32 lb Wing
Oxycheq Mach V Signature

Now the Dive Rite wings are the least expensive, have tank strap slots so I can avoid the STA (for now, I might want one later) and are probably of decent quality.

The OMS is the middle of the price range, has slots for tank bands, and is on my list because it basically meets all the criteria.

The Mach V is on the upper end of my price range, would require me to buy an STA, but I am sure the quality is astounding.

So how do I pick? I need some help from you experts out there that have experience with these items... have actually used them. Any help you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sam

Go with the Oxycheq. Its worth the extra loot. You get what you pay for.

OxyCheq wing is pretty much bullet proof! It is very nice. Many people suggest a STA anyway even if the wing does not require it. The whole system is very much more "solid" then...

Mat.

I have and like my Venture. If I was to replace it, I'd buy the DeepSeaSupply 26 Torus.

Ditto on the Mach V for singles. I have a Mach V extreme and for singles it is excellent.

My Mach V has roll control, allowing you to use it without a STA, although I've never used it without the STA. I love it.

OMS Single 32 lb Wing
Oxycheq Mach V Signature

The OMS is the middle of the price range, has slots for tank bands, and is on my list because it basically meets all the criteria.

The Mach V is on the upper end of my price range, would require me to buy an STA, but I am sure the quality is astounding.

I own both of these...the OMS is a decent dive but the Mach V is much better designed/built. I use both with an STA.

Scubatoys has a great price on the Mach V:

Oxy Cheq Mach V Signature Wing, DIR and Technical, OxyCheq, Oxy Cheq Mach V Signature Wing

I believe that's only $10 more that I paid for the OMS.

Cheers.

-J.-

I have been diving a 30# Mach V w/ stainless plate and STA for over a year now, it's a great wing! I normally dive wet w/ HP100. I have used this setup w/ a HP130/7mm suit/20# lead for a handful of dives in SoCal waters, and if I personally dove this type of setup on a regular basis, I might think about going to the 40# version.

In regards to the STA, I have the low profile version, and I would definitely suggest using a STA vs STA-less. All the stuff you read about "makes the tank stick out", etc. is really blown out of proportion. My tank sit's maybe 1/2" off the plate, and nothing beats solid metal angles for keeping things from moving around. The STA also makes it a little easier to disassemble, as you don't have to un-thread the CAM straps from the wing.

I like Dive Rite stuff, but personally, I like the narrow/streamlined design of the Mach V compared to the wider DR wings.

You might notice I used "personally" several times. Every person's wants/needs/opinions are different, so it really comes down to taking the available info (the nice thing about SB) and applying it to your unique situation and only you can make the final decision.

John

Thanks for the input,

I just ordered the Mach V, with Oxycheq STA & Tank Straps I will get to see how I like it soon enough! :)

All I have left to get is regulator, octo/integrated, computer/gauges, and wet suit. Phew. This is expensive for a grad student :)

Sam

Back
Top Bottom