Best Knot for securing reel line to brass clip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quest

Reaction score
What do you experienced divers recommend as a knot to use for securing your dive reel to a brass clip?

I have been using a "jamming Hitch" though i notice many tech divers using a "midshipmans hitch or Tautline Hitch".

Double Figure 8.

Willer

I like to do a clove hitch on mine, and bend the end to the running part with a bowline.
The clove hitch keeps the line from rolling back & forth on the snap's ring & the bowline makes the whole thing frogbutt secure.

Immobilizing the line becomes more important when the assembly is used in sandy/muddy conditions, and/or when it is submerged for long periods

with a grape knot as a stopper. While I don't do the clove hitch, I do wrap it around the shackle twice.

On my little wreck reel I used a clove hitch and a yankee whip to tie it off. Works okay.

But, I went to a cave diving class and learned to use a 3/4 plastic bead in the middle of a 12" loop. Basically you end up with a loop on the end of your line. The Bead facilitates tying and handling while preventing the loop from pulling back through the guide.

I got rid of the clip. now the reel has a clip to hang it on my back D ring, but a bead does the rest of the work. Makes for a more streamlined approach and a simpler rig.

or make a loop with a regular bowline, put it thru the eye of the clip (brass blows, use SS) then the clip back thru the loop (don't remember what this is called, crowsfoot or something maybe?).

WW

CGoheen once bubbled...
But, I went to a cave diving class and learned to use a 3/4 plastic bead in the middle of a 12" loop. Basically you end up with a loop on the end of your line. The Bead facilitates tying and handliing while preventing the loop from pulling back through the guide.
Thank you.
I use the loop, but the bead's new to me and I like the idea.
Buying beads tomorrow.
Rick(never too old to learn a new trick)

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Thank you.
I use the loop, but the bead's new to me and I like the idea.
Buying beads tomorrow.
Rick(never too old to learn a new trick)
I use the balls from those hair things that have 2 on them and are kinda stretchy...man I have no idea what those are called..

I use a small egg shaped sinker... which helps me when the current is strong so that the hole is well defined as I pass the reel through it. ou have to drill the hole out a bit for the cave line ot pass through. THEN I use the double figure eight with a stopper knot on it. The bowline really weakens the rope and it does not hold as well when the line is slick/and or wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom