Best deal on "deluxe" harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, although I shore dive socal every week, I'm going softie on this.

I'm switching to a Hammerhead BP/STA with a Mach V wing. I was going with a simple, one-piece, single harness but.... I think I want more cushy. I like "shoulder pads", quick releases and I do like a chest buckle:11:. With 50+ lbs on your back when hoofing from the beach, up the hill to your car 1/4 mile away from your exit, I can just see those straps, from a simple harness, digging into my pits without that chest strap holding them parallel - see what I mean?

Anybody ever dive the Hollis deluxe harness? I'm trying to stay <$100. Any other suggestions? Thanks

I havn't seen the Hollis in person yet. However I know a few people with the OMS comfort harness that are very pleased. I personally don't like the idea of a plastic buckle breaking while lugging a set of doubles up the boat ramp. With a wetsuit on, I don't find the hog harness the least bit uncomfortable.

see what I mean?

No. I've done those walks many, many times. You don't "need" all that crap on the harness. If anything, I find the hog harness MUCH more comfortable as the buckles on my "deluxe" harness used to dig into my sides.

Look, why not just save the $50+ and try the simpler harness first. If you really can't stand it, feel free to sell it (you'll get your money back, unlike with a deluxe harness) and then buy the deluxe. I assure you, most of us doing those CA shore dives with BP/Ws much prefer the hog harness. Do yourself a favor and try the simpler solution first before you decide you need something "extra".

No. I've done those walks many, many times. You don't "need" all that crap on the harness. If anything, I find the hog harness MUCH more comfortable as the buckles on my "deluxe" harness used to dig into my sides.

Look, why not just save the $50+ and try the simpler harness first. If you really can't stand it, feel free to sell it (you'll get your money back, unlike with a deluxe harness) and then buy the deluxe. I assure you, most of us doing those CA shore dives with BP/Ws much prefer the hog harness. Do yourself a favor and try the simpler solution first before you decide you need something "extra".

Ok, seems like a reasonble plan. I'll do just that. Thanks!

I had a hog harness, it was a pain in the butt getting into and out of with the ol chicken wing maneuver. I bought a dive rite deluxe and installed in on the plate about 3 years ago and really like it. I can leave the straps loose. The chest strap isn't a failure point as I have done dives where I forgot to hook it with no problem. It's just a lot easier getting on and off.

I had a hog harness, it was a pain in the butt getting into and out of with the ol chicken wing maneuver. I bought a dive rite deluxe and installed in on the plate about 3 years ago and really like it. I can leave the straps loose. The chest strap isn't a failure point as I have done dives where I forgot to hook it with no problem. It's just a lot easier getting on and off.

A buddy dives a Halcyon setup with a Hog. He actually needs a second person to help him in and out.

I'm reconsidering the one-piece Hog. I can't see a disconnect and an extra strap or two being much of a negative to the whole concept. These few extra goodies have to be a negligible impact to buoyancy, weight, streamlining, etc.

Any suggestions? Dve Rite, Oxy, etc?

Runway1,

Those prices are hard to beat, especially on the Transplate, which would have been my second choice had I not purchased an entire Oxycheq package. Most will tell you to jump right into a hog harness, but I plan on doing beach dives in the feature with twin tanks, and I'm not ready to back pack 90+ lbs on plain nylon straps.

The Deluxe doesn't come with padding, though you could add slip on paddings to them.

Back
Top Bottom