Just back from Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobby-in-mass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just came back from some great diving in the keys:
great deal awesome diving=
Silent World Dive Charters in Key Largo
5 half-day trips (10 Dives) $250 includes tanks and weights only $50per day
clean boats,,great people
dove the Duane & Spiegel Grove

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 73
Yea!! I like that first pic. Gosh what a contrast and feeling of depth and clarity, and proportions. Thats a framer IMO.

Cool pix. I've been to Key Largo once. I need to get back there soon!

Excellent!

Fuel prices being what they are I am surprised they can get away with a $50 charter fee. That's close to what I used to pay for charters in FL back when I was in college down there in the mid-90's....

Excellent!

Fuel prices being what they are I am surprised they can get away with a $50 charter fee. That's close to what I used to pay for charters in FL back when I was in college down there in the mid-90's....

You are 100pct right, they are way overdue for a rate increase

Nice pix!

Last time I was on the SG, she was on her side

What did you do? Flip her upright while you were hanging on the mooring line? Jack, up for a BR dive yet?

LobstaMan

What did you do? Flip her upright while you were hanging on the mooring line? Jack, up for a BR dive yet?

LobstaMan

Don't have time to dive yet, doing too much bike training for a couple of June events.

I'm surprised you hadn't already heard the SG story:

The former USS Spiegel Grove, now serving as artificial reef on the bottom in 130 feet of water off Key Largo, flipped upright as the core of the storm (Dennis) passed well over 200 miles to the west.

It's a position project organizers wanted since the retired 510-foot Landing Ship Dock prematurely sank and rolled over May 17, 2002, leaving its upside-down bow protruding from the water.

Three weeks later, a salvage team managed to fully sink the vessel, but on its right side instead of its keel. Three years later, the Spiegel Grove is the most popular artificial wreck in the Florida Keys, home at least 166 different fish species, said Lad Akins of the Reef Environmental Education Foundation.

"I'm flabbergasted," Rob Bleser, volunteer project director, said Monday afternoon after a dive on the newly oriented Spiegel Grove. "Nature took its course and put it where it belongs."

The only bummer is that now the screws are buried at depth. Before it flipped, you used to come down the line and there they were in about 80 feet of water, quite a sight.

I can't say enough good things about the folks at Silent World. We've gone with them for the past three years and have had great experiences and great dives.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom